About Posts / Posting Etc

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
I wanted to make a post about posting. I wanted to encourage you all to keep posting and not to wait for others to post. I know the boards have been a lot slower lately and I will take blame for that because I really couldn't do anything here for about 2 years... and for that, I apologize. I Would like to see the revitalization of this board more than anyone... but I can't post a lot right now because I'm working on the backgrounds again of the boards trying to restore the mods we lost.

I have pretty much killed off the spammers... we will still have a few getting in here and there... especially human spam bots :lol

Here's the thing... If we don't continue to post and respond to posts and create posts... we won't get new members... and we may lose members starting to post again. If we lose that progress... what's the point of even updating the boards?

I'm not trying to discourage posting... and I know this week is busy because many are going back to school (Etc). However, Don't let the progress slide that we've made over the last month. December 2012 was the best month we've had in many months. Keep it up :D I believe we can be a busy board like we were before (while still being close knit). Let's keep building off that progress.

Thank you all for being members of this board.
†B†V† :hat

Jan 2010
Northern AL
We need Mega... Or someone who is that up to date with gaming news.
Or, maybe just someone to watch sites like Kotaku, 1UP, and whatnot.
I've been pretty busy lately, and I'm not really a big gamer anymore, or I would myself.

Feb 2009
United States
ThravRande said:
We need Mega... Or someone who is that up to date with gaming news.
Or, maybe just someone to watch sites like Kotaku, 1UP, and whatnot.
I've been pretty busy lately, and I'm not really a big gamer anymore, or I would myself.
I'm constantly looking at gaming news sites. (Kotaku, Joystiq)
If people want more news like Mega used to post, I can do it. ^^

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
:lol if we do that, then we need to come up with a news section.

A lot of members said the news articles did clutter the specific areas a bit. SOme still want to see them as well... I can create a news section and that coule be a "playground" for those who want to post news :)

BV :hat

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
Bluevoodu said:
:lol if we do that, then we need to come up with a news section.

A lot of members said the news articles did clutter the specific areas a bit. SOme still want to see them as well... I can create a news section and that coule be a "playground" for those who want to post news :)
Personally I think the news posts only seemed like clutter because usually it was just the one post and not many of them led to discussions. Of course, it's hard to tell what news will cause people to talk about it at length, so maybe the "playground" area you have in mind could be a way to address that. Post the topic in that playground, and then if it does start a proper discussion. move the topic to the relevant forum.

Feb 2005
Michigan
Mai Valentine said:
Personally I think the news posts only seemed like clutter because usually it was just the one post and not many of them led to discussions. Of course, it's hard to tell what news will cause people to talk about it at length, so maybe the "playground" area you have in mind could be a way to address that. Post the topic in that playground, and then if it does start a proper discussion. move the topic to the relevant forum.
That's why I generally stopped posting news myself. Nobody ever responded or seemed like they cared much about what I was posting. I'll start doing it again if that's what most people want. Not sure how it'll be as a separate board.

stealth toilet

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
North America
I think if you post a news story, don't just post the news story, say something about that news story too. If you can't think of anything to say about a news item, there's a good chance no one else will either.

And if we're doing that, I think they can be in the general discussion section.

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Not trying to beat a dead horse here... Just to throw this in... now we have new members coming in because the registrations have been re-enabled. We've had a few new members recently that are participating.

Older members.... please make sure you welcome these people ... give them the welcome you received when coming :) I've been trying to welcome and respond to their posts... but we need to make sure to continue to welcome and post up to their topics etc. If you want to see more join... that is.

Jan 2012
Being a gaming addict & entrepreneur both I know how hard it is to get a forum going and keep it going. You seem like you have a pretty good community here, so I think it'll continue to grow. I know that I found it pretty easily last week or so when I was searching for gaming forums.

You might also want to look into Akismet for the spam issues, I think it works for forums as well as Wordpress which is where I normally use it.

I'd agree about news stories as well - if you are going to post them you should post your insights about them because then that will become a worthwhile thread.

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Coop said:
Being a gaming addict & entrepreneur both I know how hard it is to get a forum going and keep it going. You seem like you have a pretty good community here, so I think it'll continue to grow. I know that I found it pretty easily last week or so when I was searching for gaming forums.

You might also want to look into Akismet for the spam issues, I think it works for forums as well as Wordpress which is where I normally use it.

I'd agree about news stories as well - if you are going to post them you should post your insights about them because then that will become a worthwhile thread.
I'll take a look into that for spam issues... thanks for the heads up.

We do have a pretty nice community here. If you look at the stats... we had a ton more activity.. But that was ruined by a few things. Now that we're going again and I'm back to help move things forward... I hope that we can get to where we were.

As far as the news idea... I think that's the way we're going to handle it from now on... if a problem develops, we'll handle it at that time..