Any "Wisdom Tooth" Survivors In The Forum?School Me.

Hi Addicts,

I know that I could probably just "Google" this question,but I prefer human experience over websites.That,and my dentist is away. :lol

Last week,I had a "Wisdom Tooth" removed by having the gum sliced and a lot of pressure.I'm currently taking high dose ibuprofen,but it's just not "Cutting The Mustard".Although I've been clean for a long time,all it takes is for a doctor to see my past drug abuse on my chart,and you may as well talk to the wall if you need something stronger.

He said a couple small bone shards came out with the tooth,and to keep taking the ibuprofen.but the pain is still there.Everyone tells me to keep rinsing with salt water,but isn't mouthwash superior?

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this,and is it normal for it to still hurt still?

Thank you,
Kaz

I still have all 4 of my wisdom teeth.

Long story short. When I was fitted for braces at age 14, they had to extract all four of my prime molars (between the molars and incisors). Which actually saved the wisdom teeth from growing irregularly and it required some surgery and some stitches, sounds painful but NOVOCAINE is the funniest drug on the market imho . The cool part, is the orthodontist was able for the gap to merge into a perfect row of teeth of me. He did a fantastic job regardless :)

I had all four removed in one go, it left me out of commission for a full week. I generally didn't take ibuprofen during the day, just at night when the pain kept me from sleeping. I don't like taking medicine unless I absolutely have to, so I just toughed it out during the day. It will feel better every day, so hang in there Kaz and pretty soon you won't even need the ibuprofen.

Mouthwash is not superior to salt water when you're mouth is trying to heal. Mouthwash kills all the bacteria in your mouth, including the good kind (Grindspine, Starrynite, feel free to elaborate on this more). Salt water is the better choice.

Stealth is right! When I had my wisdom teeth and cyst removed in surgery my dentist told me absolutely not to use mouth wash. Salt water worked great for me. And I don't know if you smoke, but if you do, don't smoke until you are fully healed.

stealth toilet said:
I had all four removed in one go, it left me out of commission for a full week. I generally didn't take ibuprofen during the day, just at night when the pain kept me from sleeping. I don't like taking medicine unless I absolutely have to, so I just toughed it out during the day. It will feel better every day, so hang in there Kaz and pretty soon you won't even need the ibuprofen.

Mouthwash is not superior to salt water when you're mouth is trying to heal. Mouthwash kills all the bacteria in your mouth, including the good kind (Grindspine, Starrynite, feel free to elaborate on this more). Salt water is the better choice.
Thanks guys.

Jun 2004
Indiana
stealth toilet said:

While residential Streptococcus strains (such as S. mutans) do live in the mouth and help prevent other bacteria, simply because they take up space, the main reason to use Epsom salt as opposed to using mouthwash is that mouthwashes with alcohol can cause irritation.

An Epsom salt solution will kill most bacteria in the mouth without causing as much irritation to the injured tissue. There might be some more on this, I'd have to look up some articles on the subject though.

Grindspine said:
While residential Streptococcus strains (such as S. mutans) do live in the mouth and help prevent other bacteria, simply because they take up space, the main reason to use Epsom salt as opposed to using mouthwash is that mouthwashes with alcohol can cause irritation.

An Epsom salt solution will kill most bacteria in the mouth without causing as much irritation to the injured tissue. There might be some more on this, I'd have to look up some articles on the subject though.
Boom.

I knew you'd the answer fo show.