Sega Dreamcast Dreamcast Online

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Did anyone play on this?
When did this service go out?

So there are no more games at all online with the Dreamcast?

How was the connection with 56k? was it laggy at all?
I know there was a rare Broadband adaptor for the Dreamcast... but still.... not many people had it.

BV :hat

creepindeth04

Forum Staff
Oct 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I used to play NBA2K1 on it all the time. I would constantly get my butt beat. I cant exactly remember when the service died out but I believe in 2001 they sold the online service to Earthlink. It actually played pretty decently on the 56K. It would lag or freeze sometimes, but other than that it worked. I dont know if there are still online games being played for the dreamcast. Im sure there is a way to play them though.

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
creepindeth04 said:
I used to play NBA2K1 on it all the time. I would constantly get my butt beat. I cant exactly remember when the service died out but I believe in 2001 they sold the online service to Earthlink. It actually played pretty decently on the 56K. It would lag or freeze sometimes, but other than that it worked. I dont know if there are still online games being played for the dreamcast. Im sure there is a way to play them though.
I always wanted to play Dreamcast online but never had the chance to. I heard that it didn't lag at all on 56k and I found that hard to believe myself, I mean if you have 56k and your trying to play a game online, its bound to lag like crazy! I think Sega had its own online service wasn't it called "SegaNet?"

Bluevoodu said:
Did anyone play on this?
When did this service go out?

So there are no more games at all online with the Dreamcast?

How was the connection with 56k? was it laggy at all?
I know there was a rare Broadband adaptor for the Dreamcast... but still.... not many people had it.

BV :hat
Broadband adapter for Dreamcast? Are you sure? I've never even heard anything like this.

creepindeth04

Forum Staff
Oct 2004
Los Angeles, CA
"I think Sega had its own online service wasn't it called "SegaNet?""

Thats right I couldn't remember. Sega also gave a $150 rebate and a free keyboard if anybody signed up for the service, which at the time was the same price as the dreamcast. Surfing the web on it was pretty bad though since it couldn't read flash or java.

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
creepindeth04 said:
"I think Sega had its own online service wasn't it called "SegaNet?""

Thats right I couldn't remember. Sega also gave a $150 rebate and a free keyboard if anybody signed up for the service, which at the time was the same price as the dreamcast. Surfing the web on it was pretty bad though since it couldn't read flash or java.
$150 and it couldn't read flash or java! :lol

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
It was wild, I loved it because it was so new at the time...but sadly...the DC got hacked into ...and people started making Player Killers....and people could steal your weapons :(

So I would always have to make a locked room so only me and my friends could play

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
MegaDrive20XX said:
It was wild, I loved it because it was so new at the time...but sadly...the DC got hacked into ...and people started making Player Killers....and people could steal your weapons :(
"Player Killers?" How did they hack into the Dreamcast itself? Its kinda of sad that people stoop that low to win a game or whatever. :-\

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Royce Da 5 9 said:
I always wanted to play Dreamcast online but never had the chance to. I heard that it didn't lag at all on 56k and I found that hard to believe myself, I mean if you have 56k and your trying to play a game online, its bound to lag like crazy! I think Sega had its own online service wasn't it called "SegaNet?"
Broadband adapter for Dreamcast? Are you sure? I've never even heard anything like this.
yes I am 100% sure.

so this ended in 2001?

thats odd... I Thought people were still playing PSO over the DC online about 1 year ago....

†B†V† :hat

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
MegaDrive20XX said:
Easy, it was GameShark to blame for that
Oh I thought GameShark was just to use cheats?

Bluevoodu said:
yes I am 100% sure.

so this ended in 2001?

thats odd... I Thought people were still playing PSO over the DC online about 1 year ago....

†B†V† :hat
I did too, maybe someone found a way to play on private servers? I dunno.

Jul 2004
USA
I used to play Quake 3 online when I first got it on DC. It was never even laggy with me either..actually smoother than the PC I had at the time :lol

And yes there is a way to play PSO on private servers, I still know a few people that do that now. I have no idea on the specifics for it though.

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
I knew it! There was some kind of Cd that my friend gave me to play my Dreamcast online for free but I forgot what it was called. I never got it to work anyways, I just ran the program and got tired of reading all the unnessecary bull-ish!

Jul 2004
USA
Royce Da 5 9 said:
I knew it! There was some kind of Cd that my friend gave me to play my Dreamcast online for free but I forgot what it was called. I never got it to work anyways, I just ran the program and got tired of reading all the unnessecary bull-ish!
You never had to pay for their online service, you just set it up with your ISP that you use. The disc was the DC web browser..you had to have it to set up the connection and to browse the web. The DC came with the browser..but there were better browsers released later..the last one I used would even let you get on IRC with the DC and chat. It was pretty sweet.

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
Are you sure? I could of sworen that there was some kind of service that you had to pay. Oh well, but the browser with the IRC chat sounds cool, I would of never known that was avaiable. These are all unofficial browsers right?

Jul 2004
USA
Royce Da 5 9 said:
Are you sure? I could of sworen that there was some kind of service that you had to pay. Oh well, but the browser with the IRC chat sounds cool, I would of never known that was avaiable. These are all unofficial browsers right?
I'm sure...I just used my basic Earthlink service, I got online with DC the day it came out (9/9/99)

The browser with the IRC was actually an official one. If I'm not mistaken there were 3 offical versions of the browser.