Game Addicts' Gaming PC specifications

Status
Closed
I don't have much to add, but looking over Creepin's post, I have to agree with everything. So you should be fine with a good i5, GPU upgrade (460 is getting old ;)), and a 64-bit OS is almost required these days. I'm surprised you've lasted this long on 32-bit! :lol

32-bit limits RAM to 4GBs and these days most people (myself included) like to have 8GBs.

As for Creepin's suggestion on my GPU upgrade: Thanks, I'll definitely look into those. Benchmarks, etc.

Although, I don't do 1080p gaming, as my main monitor's max resolution is 1440x900. I like it, am used to it, and don't care about 1080p just yet, so a lot of benchmarks are way off for me. I usually get at least 25% more than what most benchmarks say you should, so a good 670 would be good, I think. Even a 7950 would probably be good. Brb I'm going to go research this! :p

Hey guys....Any new parts? Upgrades?

Not much here just some more 120mm case fans and finally bought myself a 1Tb WD Elements external HDD. Also bought a Intel NIC and some new Cat 6 Ethernet cable {needed shorter cables so figured why not go with Cat 6}. Still waiting on funds for new speakers, couple 2Tb HDD's, an SSD, GPU and of course, the CPU {might just wait for Steamroller at this point!}. I still go back and forth on whether I should have waited to buy a new motherboard/CPU, but I got what I got and it will definitely be fast enough for a good few years! {I sense some slight buyers remorse even typing that out hahaha}

I don't want an SSD. My stuff loads fast enough for me, I don't want to deal with the possibility of data loss (I've heard SSDs die a LOT), and they are also very expensive. I'm fine with my good old 7200RPM Western Digital HDDs.

But to each his own, I guess. :)

As for new stuff.. Not yet here either. Still need to upgrade my GPU later this year. Thinking about grabbing another 2x4GBs of RAM too, just for fun.

...I have been getting a few BSODs lately pretty randomly. I guess I should look into that. Don't want this 3-month old PC dying any time soon. :/

SSDs don't die a lot. At the beginning they had issues with sandforce controller and firmware but that was rectified over a year ago. The best SSD manufacturers, like Intel and Samsung, don't even use that controller. They are definitely reliable, especially today.

I agree they're expensive but if you have the money they're definitely worth it. Especially if you use your PC for more than gaming. :)

Eventually they'll become affordable and you'll have one. The speed difference is quite dramatic and I'm 99% sure you'll never go back. :)

A for RAM, buy that ASAP. Prices are rising fast due to shortages.

I know right? I thought I was overpaying getting 16GB for $85! Glad I got it when I did...And yea SSD's have come a long way in terms of reliability. Technically they should be the most reliable since they have no moving parts, but I am not sure how heat affects those RAM chips? I do have a pretty fast HDD {WD Blue 1TB}, but I heard the difference is like night and day...

Hey Icy have you installed any new software or hardware recently? If the BSOD's just started that is usually the culprit.

Alright. Last time I seriously looked into SSDs I kept reading that they were unreliable and all. I do admit, the speed seems pretty impressive, but for now I'm happy enough with an old fashioned HDD.

And yeah, I do do a lot of stuff besides gaming. Come to think of it, I probably would really benefit from an SSD. Now see what you guys have done??!

As for the BSOD's, I didn't get another one after that until this morning. I'm not sure if it's totally random or not. Each time it's happened I have had quite a few intensive programs running. Today it happened while playing a flash game..
And nope, no hardware changes since I built the whole PC back in February. As for software, I don't really know. I'll have to look into it now because I am getting a little concerned.

Jun 2004
Indiana
I'll have to take pictures of my new build.

APEX Mid tower
Asrock B75 motherboard
Rosewill HIVE 650 power supply
Core i5 at 3.1 Ghz
8 GB G.skill DDR3 1600 RAM

Still using my old Velociraptor 300 hard drive and GTX 460 'til I get around to upgrading them.

Grindspine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Indiana
Grindspine said:
I'll have to take pictures of my new build.

APEX Mid tower
Asrock B75 motherboard
Rosewill HIVE 650 power supply
Core i5 at 3.1 Ghz
8 GB G.skill DDR3 1600 RAM

Still using my old Velociraptor 300 hard drive and GTX 460 'til I get around to upgrading them.
I still haven't gotten any pictures. I bought my girlfriend a camera for Christmas and she stole my SD card!

So, yeah, my current mATX build is such:

APEX TX-381 case

ASRock B75 mATX motherboard

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge processor at 3.1 Ghz (3.3 turbo)
8 GB of G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 RAM

Rosewill HIVE 650 watt power supply with 135 mm fan, E-80 Bronze rated efficient
Gelid Wing 120 mm intake fan
Nanoxia FX-9 92 mm exhaust fan
Optiarc DVD =/-RW drive

Seagate 600 series SSD (boot drive/OS)
WD Velociraptor 300 (games drive)

EVGA nVidia GTX 460 graphics card
Creative SoundBlaster X-fi Titianium sound card

I can run most games at 1080 on my AOC monitor with decent framerates. The GTX 460 does lack the dedicated video RAM to run every game at max graphics settings though.

Oh man, it's been a while that I've been here. Well I do have two upgrades that made a huge difference, plus a brand new budget PC that I built myself.

My current gaming PC is still rocking the Core i5 2500K and 8GBs of RAM but it now has a Sandisk 250GB SSD and an ASUS GTX 970 STRIX. I've overclocked the 970 and it's kicking butt all over the place. I couldn't be happier.

For my second, budget PC I went with -

Intel Pentium Anniversary G3258
MSI H81M-P33 Mobo
Team Dark Series 8GB 1600 DDR3 RAM
Asus R9 270
Corsair CX430 PSU
Antec GX500 case

Let me tell you, this little budget build is no slouch. I still haven't even overclocked it yet and it's running many games at 1080p at medium/high settings @60fps. That Pentium is not your dad's Pentium. This is a Haswell part that's unlocked for easy overclocking. It's only 2 cores but not many games utilize more than that, plus I have a dedicated gaming PC to play those beefier games. It's great for everyday computing without breaking the bank.

Jun 2004
Indiana
Grindspine said:
APEX TX-381 case
ASRock B75 mATX motherboard
Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge processor at 3.1 Ghz (3.3 turbo)
8 GB of G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 RAM

Rosewill HIVE 650 watt power supply with 135 mm fan, E-80 Bronze rated efficient
Gelid Wing 120 mm intake fan
Nanoxia FX-9 92 mm exhaust fan
Optiarc DVD =/-RW drive

Seagate 600 series SSD (boot drive/OS)
I am still using the same motherboard, processor, RAM, and case. In the last couple of years I have really only upgraded my hard drive and graphics card. My secondary hard drive is now a 1 TB Velociraptor for games while the OS is still on the Seagate SSD. I did upgrade my graphics card from GTX 460 to 960. The GTX 960 is still fairly solid for gaming even though it isn't top of the line.

Status
Closed