Neo Geo Pocket My Neo Pocket Color Game of the Day!

Feb 2007
1,805
Kentucky, US
If there are any still pulling out the Neo Pocket and having a fun gaming experience, this is a place to discuss it. A place to talk about what you are playing. It's a possibility that I might be one of the very few that still plays one. But that is what I am all about, retro gaming.

To get the ball rolling,

I have spent my game time this weekend playing Capcom vs. SNK: MOTM. I am still amazed at the background animation that they was able to accomplish on this NPC game. I guess the "fighting on the train" stage is the most impressive one for me. One only has to stop and think of the time period and what was available in portable gaming to get what I am talking about. For the time period, the Neo Pocket was the best in portable fighters, IMO. This is the best fighter on the system. Character animation was better than anything the GB Color or Game.Com had at the time. That goes for all of the fighters on the NPC. The NPC really strutted it's 16-bit stuff with in-game animation, especially with this game. I wish I could get a hold of the link to hook this game up to the Dreamcast. I was playing Capcom vs. SNK: MOTM on my Dreamcast earlier this week.

In the end, M. Bison whipped my tale. I use team mode. It was a good fight getting there. M. Bison was waiting for me and mopped the floor with all three of my team members. And it is all worth revisiting to have another whipping.
 
Jul 2009
1,849
California
This game is in my NGPC all the time man, best portable fighter ever!
Also which difficulty are you playing at anyway?
And honestly you aren't missing much from the DC to NGPC link, only like a handful of games support it and it's like over 50 bucks now. Only game I used it on is KOF 99 from SNK vs Capcom motm to unlock some artwork. You can use it to transfer points to motm but not like you don't earn points just playing the game :p
 
Feb 2007
1,805
Kentucky, US
You know, .... I never have went into "setup" unit your post here. I never thought about it and I have had this game for years. :lol
The game is set on Normal.
There are a lot of options in this game, awesome. :)
 
Nov 2010
154
UK
I love that game and I still play it to this day.

It plays like a dream. If only all 2D fighters played as fluid as that. :-\
 
Nov 2007
83
I've been looking into this, and it looks like not only the Game of The Day (back in September, haha) but the game to own if one has an NGPC. I hear it's the best handheld fighter, but I'm wondering how it stacks up against the Bleach DS games and Jump Ultimate Stars, if anyone has played 2 of, or all 3 of the games mentioned?
 
Jul 2009
1,849
California
Captainlunchbox said:
I've been looking into this, and it looks like not only the Game of The Day (back in September, haha) but the game to own if one has an NGPC. I hear it's the best handheld fighter, but I'm wondering how it stacks up against the Bleach DS games and Jump Ultimate Stars, if anyone has played 2 of, or all 3 of the games mentioned?
In order from best to worst in my opinion are:
SvC:MotM > J!US > Bleach DS
SvC feels the most right like a real fighter. JUS feels more like brawl type game when compared to it but the character variety is great and it feels like a mix between Marvel vs Capcom and Smash bros. But not as good.

Bleach uses the same engine as the Yu Yu Hakusho game on Sega Megadrive that Treasure also made just updated, as much as I like the YYH game it feels like a fatal fury clone. Good liscenced game that I would put on par with the FF series before Mark of the wolves. Bleach just expands on the YYH game.


SnK plays like a king of fighters or street fighter game. Even though it only has two buttons it's a four button fighter where you must tap to do light hits and anything longer than a tap is a hard hit. Has the tightest controls of the three and has that fantastic click stick Which puts just about every d-pad to shame and has more game modes and some good minigames

I can't really compare the three because they aren't very similar Which is why I compare each to a different game. Bleach is more like fatal fury (pre motw), jump plays like a party game/fighter, and motm plays closest to a traditional fighter and I cannot emphasize enough how great the clickstick is, hell even SnK vs Capcom for NGPC blows away SNK vs Capcom on the xbox

Motm does everything right while jump and bleach are lacking in some categories
 
Nov 2007
83
Snatcher_L said:
In order from best to worst in my opinion are:
SvC:MotM > J!US > Bleach DS
SvC feels the most right like a real fighter. JUS feels more like brawl type game when compared to it but the character variety is great and it feels like a mix between Marvel vs Capcom and Smash bros. But not as good.

Bleach uses the same engine as the Yu Yu Hakusho game on Sega Megadrive that Treasure also made just updated, as much as I like the YYH game it feels like a fatal fury clone. Good liscenced game that I would put on par with the FF series before Mark of the wolves. Bleach just expands on the YYH game.


SnK plays like a king of fighters or street fighter game. Even though it only has two buttons it's a four button fighter where you must tap to do light hits and anything longer than a tap is a hard hit. Has the tightest controls of the three and has that fantastic click stick Which puts just about every d-pad to shame and has more game modes and some good minigames

I can't really compare the three because they aren't very similar Which is why I compare each to a different game. Bleach is more like fatal fury (pre motw), jump plays like a party game/fighter, and motm plays closest to a traditional fighter and I cannot emphasize enough how great the clickstick is, hell even SnK vs Capcom for NGPC blows away SNK vs Capcom on the xbox

Motm does everything right while jump and bleach are lacking in some categories
Very interesting. Though I have to note that JUS has nearly 60 hours put into it, according to my game clock- could MotM rival that, do you think? I'm looking for a solid fighting game with pretty serious replayability. I read that MotM has minigames and extras and that really has me interested.

Another game that keeps popping up in the same sentence as MotM is that Guilty Gear game for the Wonderswan.
 
Jul 2009
1,849
California
Captainlunchbox said:
Very interesting. Though I have to note that JUS has nearly 60 hours put into it, according to my game clock- could MotM rival that, do you think? I'm looking for a solid fighting game with pretty serious replayability. I read that MotM has minigames and extras and that really has me interested.

Another game that keeps popping up in the same sentence as MotM is that Guilty Gear game for the Wonderswan.
Well, My I lost my first copy of Jump, and I pre-ordered that game so I had it since launch and had it much longer than my second copy, which has 61:30 total time so it's safe to say I have atleast twice that. Ever since I got MoTM though, I hardly play Jump anymore. You won't find a more solid handheld fighter than this and the A.I. is way better in this than Jump so you'll have a challenge.

The minigames have like 4 or 3 modes on each side which are Survival, Sudden Death, Time Attack, and I think one more (need new batteries in my NGPC) as well as two side specific games like SNK has a Metal Slug minigame where it's like a FPS game except you have a 3x3 grid (exactly like Snatcher if you've ever played that) and you must shoot down martians. Then there's one where you play as a samurai from either Samurai Showdown or Last Blade and you attack dummies.
The Capcom has a Ghosts n' Goblins minigame where you have to collect treasure without being hit by Red Arremer. and a DDR-esque minigame where you make felicia dance. I like them and pretty fun to play and pass off to a friend while competing for the best score.

One thing J!US has over MotM is more unlockables, like there are only 6 unlockable characters, but they will take a while to unlock, but you can unlock a new special move for every character by buying with points. You earn points by beating the game and minigames. Other good ways to earn points is by linking up to the Dreamcast with KoF DM: 99 and Capcom vs SNK, you can also use those points to buy artwork in KoF DM 99

I see on another post you ordered the game already, you won't be disappointed. Lots of people, myself including, think it's the best fighter on the system.

I never played GG Petite but looks pretty good. Not sure if it's worth getting a Wonderswan Color for it though.

Haha, sorry for the long post
 
Nov 2007
83
It's all good an informative, as usual. I must say though , my NGPC game of the day has been FF First Contact. I've been having a blast with this game.
 
Feb 2007
1,805
Kentucky, US
:rockin
Pulled out my NG Pocket Color this past weekend and still playing. Had a renewed interest in SNK vs Capcom: The Match of The Millennium. I'm talking 2D fighting fever here. Amazes me how this game can still hold its own. ::D
 

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
13,180
Indiana
retro junkie said:
:rockin
Pulled out my NG Pocket Color this past weekend and still playing. Had a renewed interest in SNK vs Capcom: The Match of The Millennium. I'm talking 2D fighting fever here. Amazes me how this game can still hold its own. ::D
ok... I think I will break out my Neo Geo Pocket Color next week... or possibly on Christmas.

I haven't played it in over 1 year. BioMotor Unitron never really left my unit. I got the US version of Faselei I need to beat... so I think I will break that out starting on Christmas.

†B†V† :hat
 
Feb 2007
1,805
Kentucky, US
Everytime I pull out my Neo Pocket Color, I cannot help but be amazed at this little system that did not make it as a portable. It should have had a chance to have a "normal game system" life span.
 

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
13,180
Indiana
retro junkie said:
Everytime I pull out my Neo Pocket Color, I cannot help but be amazed at this little system that did not make it as a portable. It should have had a chance to have a "normal game system" life span.
well... I'm not even sure how it failed at this point. Granted... it did have tough competition. It seems that anything that goes up against a Nintendo handheld gets pwned.

I will say... I think their monochrome system was a mistake. The Neo Geo Pocket Color just had one of the best screens back in the day. You really didn't need a light on it.. it wasn't uber dark like the original Game Boy Advance... and the game selection was pretty good.

They just didn't have enough people signed on to it.


†B†V† :hat
 
Feb 2007
1,805
Kentucky, US
Bluevoodu said:
well... I'm not even sure how it failed at this point. Granted... it did have tough competition. It seems that anything that goes up against a Nintendo handheld gets pwned.

I will say... I think their monochrome system was a mistake. The Neo Geo Pocket Color just had one of the best screens back in the day. You really didn't need a light on it.. it wasn't uber dark like the original Game Boy Advance... and the game selection was pretty good.

They just didn't have enough people signed on to it.


†B†V† :hat
I think it was just bad timing on SNK's part. They went belly up and pull the plug on this little jewel. It really didn't even have a year on the shelf here in the US, if I remember right. It had a super selection of games if you liked SNK fighters and Metal Slug. :lol
 

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
13,180
Indiana
retro junkie said:
I think it was just bad timing on SNK's part. They went belly up and pull the plug on this little jewel. It really didn't even have a year on the shelf here in the US, if I remember right. It had a super selection of games if you liked SNK fighters and Metal Slug. :lol
I don't remember... :lol but for some reason, I Thought monochrome and color combined was about 1.5 years... I could be wrong though. I remember seeing the monochrome version and asking..."WHY?!" :lol
Shortly thereafter... a color version was born.

†B†V† :hat
 
Feb 2007
1,805
Kentucky, US
The Neo Pocket color was released in the US on August 1999. I never really saw the Black and White one in my area. The Color unit was pulled from the store shelves early 2000 because of the focus on the GBA by Nintendo. I was so mad at SNK for doing that. I had picked up one, which had a Sonic pack-in, and a copy of Metal Slug First Mission in either February or March of 2000. I went back about a month or two later for some more games. Had to drive out of town for this thing. Everything was pulled. For a very long time (several years) that is all I had to play on the system until they where repackaged (bubble pack with six games) and marketed as a liquidation under another name through places like Electronic Boutique, which was still around at the time, and the Net.

SNK gave the excuse that they just couldn't compete against Nintendo and sales where poor. But their apparent bankruptcy told another story.

Yeah I know, the monochrome version was really a fumble when the GB Color was what they were up against. There is probably no way of knowing how much the fumble of putting out two units in such a short time added to their financial problems. I am sure it didn't help matters.

It rubs a sore spot in my retro gaming because I wanted so much more from this system. At the time I wanted a version of Blazing Star or Pulstar for my little Color Pocket. :mad:
 
Feb 2007
1,805
Kentucky, US
Hmmmmm.............. the sun was shining through the window brightly this morning. So what naturally pops into my head? Neo Geo Pocket Color!!! So.................. I pulled it out and treated myself to a gorgeous colour game moment with SNK vs CAPOM: MOTM.



My Pocket Color still lives!!! Mah Ha Ha Haaa!!! :)