Neo-Geo X .....did anyone here buy one?

Just curious if anyone here bought a Neo-Geo X yet, and if so what are their thoughts on the system once they have actually played it? I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews, with old school diehard purists doing a lot of complaining about the video output for the docking station. I'd like to get a few more opinions directly from someone who owns one before I make my decision on whether or not to buy one after my tax refund comes in.

With the reviews I have read, I hesitate to purchase one myself. I would love to have one. I just hope they support the system with more games. I want Blazing Star in my hands. You have renewed the itch to get one. :)

I haven't really read any bad reviews, just old timers complaining over at neo-geo.com... I watched a few comparison videos between the AES and Neo-Geo X and I honestly could see no difference at all, but that is a youtube video and not real life viewing.

If they are going to support it and keep releasing games I will get it probably. It has already been hacked to run Unibios and they have already found a way to get it playing other Neo roms.. so it looks promising that even if SNK doesn't fix some of the firmware issues, the community will.

What I have seen in reviews is that something is finicky about the TV playing. I am thinking it is a software issue. The plugging and unplugging, turning the system off and on to get the on TV play. That is software related I would think. Quality of the system has been questioned. One person kept going on and on about the weight. When did the weight on a system determine the quality? Batteries used to determine the weight of a game system. The first GBA was very light until you placed the batteries in. I imagine the on TV graphics has a little noise in them with the way the signal is coming from the portable. That would cause a slight graininess and certain colors would have a bleeding effect when compared to the real thing. If one is not a purest, one might be completely satisfied.

I have my heart set on a PS Vita right now, unless that changes in the next couple of months. After that I may seriously consider one.

I'm just looking for an easy way to play Neo-Geo games again that is as close to the real thing as possible. I used to own an AES, MVS, and Neo Geo CD... but had to sell them all. Since then the only thing I have played Neo-Geo on was ports or emulations. The best thing I've got at the moment is GXGeo running on my Wii, but that can only play games under 26 or so megabytes.

I also fail to see how the weight of a system determines it's quality, the NGPC was light and it was great, never had any problems out of any of mine. I expect the signal not to be 100% as clear as the original, but if it is a close 98%, then I want it. The only other concern I have is whether or not they will ever actually put out more games for it. Now that people have found out they are running a FBA emulator with a Sony bios, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out of the market or something.

Yeah I have read that as well. I think I'm just going to pass on this thing. For the price of the system and a spare controller I could have bought a Neo-Geo CD with a few games, and that is an actual piece of SNK hardware, not some Chinese handheld running an emulator. I really wanted this system to be awesome, but it just seems like an instant letdown. I'd be very curious to hear Bluevoodu's impression of it, since he owns one.

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
hm... I was expecting a more defined screen... it's not as defined as I would've liked. I wish there would have been blood in the games (although I lived with the US versions before so this isn't a BIG deal).

Overall... the speakers would distort a bit when the sound was turned up... but oddly enough, this happened to my home TV back in the day when I Would turn Fatal Fury Special up too loud. Maybe it was a Neo Geo thing? Regardless... the sound is good at mid levels.

IDK... I've been having fund with the device. I'm worried it will break though... and I HAVE NOT tried the dock/output yet. I also have not tried the controller yet. My Experience is solely with the hand held unit. I feel the pre-order price was a little high... but I still would've bought it again. I'm not disappointed with the purchase. IF you are watching your funds... I'm not sure if I would blow them on this device. If you have some to spare and are looking for a cool toy... give it a shot. IT's definitely fun :)

I'll try to work with the output / dock this weekend and see if I can give you guys a better opinion on that.

BV :hat

Dr_Ackula said:
Yeah I have read that as well. I think I'm just going to pass on this thing. For the price of the system and a spare controller I could have bought a Neo-Geo CD with a few games, and that is an actual piece of SNK hardware, not some Chinese handheld running an emulator. I really wanted this system to be awesome, but it just seems like an instant letdown. I'd be very curious to hear Bluevoodu's impression of it, since he owns one.
I have the Neo Geo CD. I guess I should be satisfied with just having it. There are some games that are not available for it. And there are the Metal Slug games that are very expensive. Yet to pick one up. Throwing down $200 for the NGX and not knowing whether it will have more than the built-in 20 games and that one stray, well that is a lot of money for what appears to be mediocre built portable system. And I know they were probably trying to keep cost down knowing that they were serving a niche market, still..... :-\

Yeah I have owned a Neo CD before, I used to help out with stuff at Dave's Neo CD site. I have had an AES and two MVS as well, so I know what I'm in for. I always liked the Neo-Geo CD a lot, the redone soundtracks with actual CD audio are amazing. Yeah the load time sucks, and not all the games are on there, but there are a lot and they aren't that expensive. Plus it will play CDR games easily so no worries about missing that one expensive game, if all you want to do is play it.

Bluevoodu said:
I wish there would have been blood in the games (although I lived with the US versions before so this isn't a BIG deal).
SNK/Tommo claim that they are looking into a firmware update to resolve the fact that it runs on the US AES bios..that would remedy the white blood, but who knows if they will do it. At any rate people have already hacked them and installed UniBios so they can have MVS mode with blood and unlimited credits, so there is that..

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
If anyone wants to buy mine off of me... I am thinking of selling it. Like new. THINKING OF... :lol

IDK... ever since I sold out of all my Neo Geo CD stuff... I haven't been into classica gaming as much. I basically play 3DS, PC, PS3, and PS Vita. I really don't have time for anything else at this point in my life.

†B†V† :hat

Bluevoodu said:
If anyone wants to buy mine off of me... I am thinking of selling it. Like new. THINKING OF... :lol

IDK... ever since I sold out of all my Neo Geo CD stuff... I haven't been into classica gaming as much. I basically play 3DS, PC, PS3, and PS Vita. I really don't have time for anything else at this point in my life.

†B†V† :hat
I've been really on the fence about getting this. If you are planning on selling it let me know :)