NGP Discussion Thread

#42
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Now this has got me pumped and excited! All it needs now is the genre of games that I like to play. That will push me over the edge. And I am very happy that it has a physical medium for games. Hoping it does have a competitive pricing against the 3DS.

Hmmmm.... I wonder about the sound quality of the music. The memory cards will have to be big enough to store music like the UMD medium. And that has got me thinking about the cost per game. Cart gaming in the past has been more expensive than a disc. At least with no UMD, no more worry about those poorly designed fragile cases over those tiny discs.

I'm thinking Sony has got a winner here, they got it right. Long live the PSP ;)
 
#43
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

While all these awesome specs and features are great we have to remember the last round. PSP was clearly superior to the DS in terms of specs and features, yet the DS killed it. Price is a huge factor and so is a strong library of games. If the PSP is too expensive it doesn't matter how cool it is, people simply won't be able to buy one, even if they want to {much like the PS3 in its early stages}. Really I think anything over $300 is gonna be too rich for the majority of gamers blood. Just my opinion which of course could be way off!
 
#44
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Call me a fanboy, as I'm sure I'm already labeled, but after talking with numerous friends about the two, the majority were more impressed with the PSP2 rather than the 3DS, myself included. With over 82 developers already working on games for it including Square Enix, Epic, Nippon Ichi, and Atlus, I couldn't be more excited.
 
#45
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Strubes said:
Call me a fanboy, as I'm sure I'm already labeled, but after talking with numerous friends about the two, the majority were more impressed with the PSP2 rather than the 3DS, myself included. With over 82 developers already working on games for it including Square Enix, Epic, Nippon Ichi, and Atlus, I couldn't be more excited.
I am pretty sure the same amount of developers are working on games for the 3DS heck all of the ones you mentioned (except maybe epic) have already announced and already have a release date for 3DS games.....

and in my case numerous friends want the 3Ds over the PSP2 (But not by a large margin mind you... most of them just want the 3DS because it comes out earlier and they already have games picked out for them...and the price is affordable) so it really depends on who you are asking...so at the end of the day all of these points are sort of invalid.
 
#48
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Zidart said:
No, but a "survey" that doesn't cover sufficient ground is not enough to be called a "point in favor/against"
That's true, if that's what I had used it for. I merely stated the opinions of my friends and myself.
 
#49
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Zidart said:
I am pretty sure the same amount of developers are working on games for the 3DS heck all of the ones you mentioned (except maybe epic) have already announced and already have a release date for 3DS games.....

and in my case numerous friends want the 3Ds over the PSP2 (But not by a large margin mind you... most of them just want the 3DS because it comes out earlier and they already have games picked out for them...and the price is affordable) so it really depends on who you are asking...so at the end of the day all of these points are sort of invalid.
Yeah but most of those devs are probably just working on ports with 3D slapped on them for the extra buck.

x2 said:
While all these awesome specs and features are great we have to remember the last round. PSP was clearly superior to the DS in terms of specs and features, yet the DS killed it. Price is a huge factor and so is a strong library of games. If the PSP is too expensive it doesn't matter how cool it is, people simply won't be able to buy one, even if they want to {much like the PS3 in its early stages}. Really I think anything over $300 is gonna be too rich for the majority of gamers blood. Just my opinion which of course could be way off!

I think as a gamer, I'd be more willing to pay for the higher-end handheld provided they came at me with some new games and franchises. You're trying to discount it before much has even been said about it based on its predecessor. That's folly.

My point being, when Sony shows their cards on this thing, and it turns out to be disappointing (cough 3DS) to all but the deepest-in-denial-fanboys, then you can declare it garbage, but until then- just wait and see.
 
#50
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Captainlunchbox said:
Yeah but most of those devs are probably just working on ports with 3D slapped on them for the extra buck.


I think as a gamer, I'd be more willing to pay for the higher-end handheld provided they came at me with some new games and franchises. You're trying to discount it before much has even been said about it based on its predecessor. That's folly.
First off, please don't call my opinion foolish. That is borderline flaming and we don't do that here. Secondly, I am going off Sony's track record from this last gen for over pricing their hardware. $250 for a handheld that doesn't even play physical media? Based on that I get worried how much the PSP2 will be! And I did say it looks awesome, no doubt about it. But you see, some of us neither can't or want to dish out $300-400 for toys, so price is truly a great factor.
 
#51
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Captainlunchbox said:
Yeah but most of those devs are probably just working on ports with 3D slapped on them for the extra buck.


I think as a gamer, I'd be more willing to pay for the higher-end handheld provided they came at me with some new games and franchises. You're trying to discount it before much has even been said about it based on its predecessor. That's folly.
wrong at least on the developers mentioned there... after all Square-enix announced the next game in the kingdom hearts franchise, atlus is working on a remake of Devil survivor (which still hasn't even been said if it has 3D or not), capcom is working on professor layton VS phoenix wright and megaman legends 3, and nippon Ichi is working on a SRPG that ties in with Disgaea... although I can't speak for the rest of the developers since it is true most of them are slapping 3D and calling it a game... however the ones that were mentioned are not.

Besides there have been a list of games for the PSP2 that fall into the "PS3 to PSP2 port" category so is not like that system is safe from ports or "whored out" franchises.... both handhelds need to start from common ground, the 3DS has 3D ports/remakes and the PSP2 has ports from the PS3. eventually both should go in their own different and new directions.

I as a gamer would rather buy the GAME that i want and the console/handheld that i need to play said game. I will not care about how technologically advanced a console is or how higher-end it is (after all i still play with my ps2) as long as it has games that I want to play.

in addition most gamers are broke... $250 is already pushing it for the 3DS more than that would be overkill for most people to be able to afford it...
 
#52
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

x2 said:
First off, please don't call my opinion foolish. That is borderline flaming and we don't do that here. Secondly, I am going off Sony's track record from this last gen for over pricing their hardware. $250 for a handheld that doesn't even play physical media? Based on that I get worried how much the PSP2 will be! And I did say it looks awesome, no doubt about it. But you see, some of us neither can't or want to dish out $300-400 for toys, so price is truly a great factor.
Relax, there was no flaming going on. But if you're going off of previous track records from one gen, which can be argued as their handheld starter, it's almost a moot point. It's apparent to most of the internetz that Sony has learned from past mistakes.

With that being said, for what it offers compared to the $250 3D machine, I'd be more inclined to buy a PSP 2 at a $300-$350 mark since it does so much more. But as said, that's just me.
 
#53
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Strubes said:
Relax, there was no flaming going on. But if you're going off of previous track records from one gen, which can be argued as their handheld starter, it's almost a moot point. It's apparent to most of the internetz that Sony has learned from past mistakes.

With that being said, for what it offers compared to the $250 3D machine, I'd be more inclined to buy a PSP 2 at a $300-$350 mark since it does so much more. But as said, that's just me.
so much for opinions being always valid....I don't see how it is a moot point to make a prediction with statistics from the past specially since it is about sony's pricing their hardware which is something they never seem to learn.

that's all well and good but as X2 said some people don't want to spend $300-$400 on a handheld that's just as good as a $250 one
 
#54
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

If I had to choose, it would be the PSP2. It has a bit more versatility with its dual touch screen and much better online store. But both have their place I think. What both of these handhelds show is that both companies learned from their past mistakes.

Nintendo realizes that people want something with more power and the 3DS gives it to them. Sony realized that people didn't want UMDs and wanted dual analogs, so the PSP2 has those changes.

Zidart said:
some people don't want to spend $300-$400 on a handheld that's just as good as a $250 one
Is it just as good? We don't know. Maybe it's better (which is what I think.)

x2 said:
But you see, some of us neither can't or want to dish out $300-400 for toys, so price is truly a great factor.
:eek: Did you just call video games toys?!?!?!

I'm actually quite shocked.
 
#55
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

x2 said:
First off, please don't call my opinion foolish. That is borderline flaming and we don't do that here. Secondly, I am going off Sony's track record from this last gen for over pricing their hardware. $250 for a handheld that doesn't even play physical media? Based on that I get worried how much the PSP2 will be! And I did say it looks awesome, no doubt about it. But you see, some of us neither can't or want to dish out $300-400 for toys, so price is truly a great factor.
So it's an intelligent to base the future of a console on its predecessor? I simply disagree. The only beef I have with the 3DS is its rush to market and the initial software lineup- but I won't use that as a basis for predicting its future.

The PSP2, however, the cards are being played close to the chest, and if Sony has shown us anything, it's that they can surprise us with strong software to make up for whatever shortcomings its consoles may have. That's what I'm banking on here, but until they totally disappoint me, what I've seen so far has made me pay attention in a positive manner.
 
#57
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

CreepinDeth said:
If I had to choose, it would be the PSP2. It has a bit more versatility with its dual touch screen and much better online store. But both have their place I think. What both of these handhelds show is that both companies learned from their past mistakes.

Nintendo realizes that people want something with more power and the 3DS gives it to them. Sony realized that people didn't want UMDs and wanted dual analogs, so the PSP2 has those changes.

Is it just as good? We don't know. Maybe it's better (which is what I think.)

:eek: Did you just call video games toys?!?!?!

I'm actually quite shocked.
Haha of course I did because that's all they are, toys! And Strubes, I didn't say he was flaming, I said borderline. Straight up calling my opinion foolish. But I know he's your boy so you gotta defend him :lol
 
#58
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

Strubes said:
Debatable.
that's the reason why we are all here is it not? I have said it numerous times... as of now to me they are equals because if there is something i have learned from experience is that just because one console has more features than the other doesn't mean its better...so yes it is debatable and it might be debatable forever because people standards are always different.
 
#59
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

x2 said:
Haha of course I did because that's all they are, toys!
Well boo to you good sir! :D

And Strubes, I didn't say he was flaming, I said borderline. Straight up calling my opinion foolish. But I know he's your boy so you gotta defend him :lol
Let's please not get personal with this. Thank you. :)

Zidart said:
that's the reason why we are all here is it not?
I think it's more of the way you stated it. You stated it as if it was a fact that they're just as good. Either way, yes it is debatable. I think a better word would be Subjective.
 
#60
Re: PSP 2 CONFIRMED & Playstation Suite application for Android Phones!

x2 said:
Haha of course I did because that's all they are, toys! And Strubes, I didn't say he was flaming, I said borderline. Straight up calling my opinion foolish. But I know he's your boy so you gotta defend him :lol
None of that was pertinent to the topic we're discussing here. Your opinion wasn't in question, it was more so your way of coming to it. The Sega Genesis performed really well- so why did almost every single Sega console since then fall kind of flat? Past success is not a good barometer. I don't think the PSP's mediocre success is something that should be brought up this early in the cycle of its next handheld. That's all I was attempting to say. Don't get all butthurt and then make fun of Strubes or me immediately afterward, though.
 

Similar Threads