North, South Korea trade fire near disputed border (about over 2 hours ago)

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
North Korea shot dozens of rounds of artillery onto a populated South Korean island near their disputed western border Tuesday, military officials said, setting buildings on fire and prompting South Korea to return fire and scramble fighter jets.

Meanwhile, South Korea's presidential aides were in an emergency security meeting in an underground bunker at the presidential compound, Reuters reported.

South Korea's military said one marine had been killed and three seriously wounded in the shelling, the biggest attack in years. The island is about 1.8 miles south of the sea border and 75 miles west of Seoul.

A South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff official said dozens of rounds of artillery landed on the island and in the sea. The official told The Associated Press that South Korea fired back. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of JCS rules, said South Korea's military was on alert. He had no other details, and could not confirm the reports of casualties.

South Korea's YTN television quoted a witness as saying 60 to 70 houses were on fire after the shelling and TV footage showed plumes of smoke coming from the island. It said a South Korean fighter jet had been deployed to the west coast after the shelling.

"Houses and mountains are on fire and people are evacuating. You can't see very well because of plumes of smoke," a witness on the island told YTN. "People are frightened to death and shelling continues as we speak."

South Korea's President Lee Myung-bak ordered officials to make sure that the firing wouldn't escalate, according to Yonhap, quoting a presidential official. YTN said between 1,200 and 1,300 people live on the island, citing an island resident.

The skirmish came amid tension over North Korea's claim that it has a new uranium enrichment facility and just over a month after North Korean leader Kim Jong Il unveiled his youngest son Kim Jong Un as his heir apparent

Tensions between the two Koreas also remain tense after the sinking in March of a South Korean warship in which 46 sailors died. Seoul has blamed a North Korean torpedo, while Pyongyang has denied any responsibility.

The countries' western maritime boundary has long been a flash point between the two Koreas. The North does not recognize the border that was unilaterally drawn by the United Nations at the close of the 1950-53 Korean War.

North and South Korea have fought three bloody skirmishes near the maritime border in recent years, most recently in November 2009.

This is some scary stuff. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40329269/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Jul 2007
GoRiLlAz_RoCk said:
hopefully they will wipe each other out, yes the star craft community will be at a lose, but it's a win win in my opinion.

I really don't see how that's a win win. If they go to war, then the Allies from both sides will be at war, which would mean that the US would be once again in another war.

mariorulezman said:
Idk. Cause we didnt do nothing in world war 2 untill we got attacked.
We intervened in Korea once before though. We'd probably do it again, especially now that North Korea has no significant allies (I doubt China would intervene on their behalf. They might, but I just can't see it happening). This probably won't lead to war though. We would intervene if it came to it, but not before we did whatever possible to stop the conflict.

Fr0dus Maximus said:
I really don't see how that's a win win. If they go to war, then the Allies from both sides will be at war, which would mean that the US would be once again in another war.
fine for me, I'm not American :lol
I personally don't like Korea because of Kim Jong-il (he is pure evil) so I wouldn't care if they wipe each other out.

Dec 2005
Fraser, Michigan
GoRiLlAz_RoCk said:
fine for me, I'm not American :lol
I personally don't like Korea because of Kim Jong-il (he is pure evil) so I wouldn't care if they wipe each other out.
And Australia is one of our biggest allies, so they would also be in.

stealth toilet

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
North America
GoRiLlAz_RoCk said:
hopefully they will wipe each other out, yes the star craft community will be at a lose, but it's a win win in my opinion.
That is one of the most callous and inhumane remarks I've ever heard anyone say on this board. You should be ashamed of yourself.

mariorulezman said:
Idk. Cause we didnt do nothing in world war 2 untill we got attacked.
America's isolationist policy pre-WWII ended post-WWII, after Churchill urged America to rival the Iron Curtain of the Soviet Union and protect the interest of Democracy and Capitalism across the world. But whether or not America is directly involved in a war, I would hope Kim Jong comes to his senses and the conflict is resolved peacefully.

Dart

Forum Staff
Jun 2005
Louisburg, NC, USA
Just my two cents worth, but the Koreas are still in a state of war with eachother. There was only a ceasefire agreement between the two countries. And since then, only the DMZ (which is covered with over a million land mines) have kept the peace.