PlayStation 2: 10 Years Later

Jun 2009
One decade ago was the Japanese launch of the PS2, a system that most of us enjoyed throughout the years yet the Disc Read Errors was frustrating to get our old games working, plus we also used to watch DVDs long before Blu Ray Players came out. This week, March 4th 2010 to be exact is where the PlayStation 2 really celebrates its 10th Birthday, which means tomorrow @ 10:00 AM Eastern where Japan's time is Midnight!

I can't believe it's been 10 long years since the Playstation 2 launched in Japan, 7 months before its American launch. We all have memories with our PS2s we went through, so what are your greatest PS2 memories that you had during the 2000s?

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
10 years kid....you owe me big time....Fontaine doesn't let anyone go that easily...

Wow PS2...that's just...amazing...I still love that system :)

My greatest memories? SILENT HILL 2! How in the hell did we go from cheap polygons in PS1 games from 1999 to this masterpiece with glorious cut scenes that are out of this world 2002 in a few short years!? Same thing with Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2.

x2

Jun 2004
Minnesota
PS2 is still my favorite system and probably will be for a long time. So many good games; Timesplitters, Gran Turismo 3, GTA3, Metal Gear 2, Final Fantasy X, Vice City, Dark Cloud, Ace Combat, Silent Hill 2, 3, Metal Gear 3, Dragon Quest 8, Shadow Of The Colossus, Okami, Front Mission 4, San Andreas, RE4, Downhill Domination, and just much more epicness. I think my very best memories are; the day I got it of course, playing Timesplitters for the first time, Metal Gear 2, getting my mind blown by GTA3, Final Fantasy X, getting my mind blown again by Shadow of The Colossus, and then you have Okami, which was the best game I have played in such a long time. PS2 just did everything right. It was affordable and accessible, simple in design and operation, had a great controller, and most of all it had the most varied library of games you could ever imagine.

Grindspine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Indiana
Final Fantasy X
Tekken Tag Tournament
Gradius III and IV

Some oldies, but goodies.

I still use my PS2 all the time. Renee has been playing a ton of Castlevania: Lament of Innocence on it lately. I broke God of War out on it too.

I STILL have yet to beat Silent Hill 2!

Jul 2009
California
Man I've had my ps2 for more than half my life. I still remember when I first played it.

My brother took me to Laguna Seca to see a race, and there was this big black 18 wheeler with Playstation 2 on the side of it. Inside it was like a game room with these arcade cabinet looking things except they had PS2s inside. We played Tekken Tag and Fantavision and got some cool metal Playstation 2 keychains.
This was all before it launched in America which made that experience cooler :D

I will still use my PS2, it will live on to play imports xD

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
Grindspine said:
Final Fantasy X
Tekken Tag Tournament
Gradius III and IV

Some oldies, but goodies.

I still use my PS2 all the time. Renee has been playing a ton of Castlevania: Lament of Innocence on it lately. I broke God of War out on it too.

I STILL have yet to beat Silent Hill 2!
I still kick myself for selling the soundtrack to Lament of Innocence (Well I burnt a copy of it before I did ;)) Yet, FANTASTIC game!

*shakes my fist at Grind* Finish Silent Hill 2!

Oct 2009
Metal Gear Solid 2 was the first game I beat for PS2 and my first mgs game. I would continue this post but the memories are flooding back to me.

say goodbye to yesterday, my friend.....

Man I love the PS2. Besides the Saturn, it might be the best system for fighting games. Every week I play atleast a couple hours of Arcana Heart. Besides the Sega Genesis, the PS2 is probably the system I play most.

I also plan to get a Japanese PS2 in the future, mainly for Arcana Heart 2, and Mushihimesama.