Neo Geo CD Rare Neo Geo CD (Us Versions) - Crossed Swords Question

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
ok... based on a topic at another site.... I have brought the discussion here IN HOPES that members viewing the neogeocd.net section can post up.... or guests willl join up and post up some proof.

To start off... I have only seen 1 Crossed Swords US.  It came with a Japanese Disc.  This has been rumored that the earlier games only came with Japanese discs... I think Blue's Journey, Ninja Combat, Crossed Swords..and a few others.  can any prove that?  IE you opened your game when it was new and there was a Japanese disc inside?  please post up here if so.

†B†V† :hat

Jul 2004
USA
I can't help ya buddy..I don't have originals of any of those games..actually only two of mine are US...I usualy go for the JPN ones my self.

kuk

Mar 2005
France
sorry i have a japanese version too and i have not Blue's Journey, and Ninja Combat,

you have a US package but the CD is a japanese ?

for me it's strange, not an HK version ?

(can you scan me the page of the Move and the fight in the US manual please ?)

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
kuk said:
sorry i have a japanese version too and i have not Blue's Journey, and Ninja Combat,

you have a US package but the CD is a japanese ?

for me it's strange, not an HK version ?

(can you scan me the page of the Move and the fight in the US manual please ?)
yes... as far as I know its legit.

But you want the scan of the fight/move page?
do you mean the instruction of the controls page?

I am sure this is legit... I have seen many neo cd boots.. and have written a bootleg FAQ on them.  The CD is legit as it has the barcode and the ADCD - 002
The manual is of good quality unlike the boots.
And it has the US ADCD - 002E number.

Like I said... I have only run into this Crossed Swords US 1 time.... this is it right here.

I used to be in contact with people that had a US blues journey.... and a few other rare US games.  They had picks... etc to show.

Bv :hat

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
here ya go:

let me know what you think.

If you need higher res.. I can do so via a LARGE scan.... but the file size will be large as well.

kuk

Mar 2005
France
thank you very much
no it's good
i make a site on the Neo Geo CD, and i write and comparatif between CS 1 and CS2
thank for your help

Mar 2005
It doesn't surprise me that SNK would have done something like this.

They probably found that at the time, making individual US printed discs was pointless if they had a surplus of Japanese discs, given the fact that the games contain both language sets and are universal (no country code lock-outs). So instead of wasting money on US discs, they simply printed English manuals and backpieces (in some instances spine cards too) and dropped their surplus of Japanese printed discs into the cases.

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Kiken said:
It doesn't surprise me that SNK would have done something like this.

They probably found that at the time, making individual US printed discs was pointless if they had a surplus of Japanese discs, given the fact that the games contain both language sets and are universal (no country code lock-outs).  So instead of wasting money on US discs, they simply printed English manuals and backpieces (in some instances spine cards too) and dropped their surplus of Japanese printed discs into the cases.
Do you actually think they would use the same spine cards? Have you seen this? I haven't seen a jpn spine on a US game.

Mar 2005
Well, I could be wrong, but, to the best of my knowledge, back in the day of NGCD, SNK made only japan versions of *some* of the older NGCD titles and found out many people wanted them for their Neo CD (in other country's) but couldn't read the manuals. So they came out with english versions of *some* manuals and sold them only to people who called and asked for them. I was one of the people who bought some of these manuals. I purchased Magician Lord and Ninja Commando english Neo CD manuals from SNK back in like 95 when they were offering the clasp cases for only 8 bucks each.:p (I still kick myself for not buying a ton of those). I sold my Mag Lord manual with the game but i copied the front cover to put on my backup. I sold ninja commando neo cd also, but sold it with the japan manual only and kept the english manual. :)

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
so they only issued manuals?

hm... thats odd.  That is the 1st time I have heard that. 
Do you know anyone else that was given the opportunity to buy these? I was in the aes around 1993... and I didn't buy my neo Cd till 96-97. I got my new/us system with sam sho 2 for around $320.

They also offered the clasp cases for $8?  Do you mean the AES snaplock cases?

Bv :hat

Mar 2005
Yes, to the best of my knowledge, for *some Japanese CD releases they decided to release *some english manuals. When I called and asked for mine they charged $5 bucks per manual (If I remember correctly)
and they charged $5 bucks per old style case and $8 per snaplock case, (on the phone they called it the newstyle clasp cases). Hope this info helps out. SNK did some very strange things. :p