Rate a recently played game

Mar 2008
Do any of you fancy helping me out with some gaming research? I am doing a small study, asking gamers to rate video games on a number of different aspects and experiences. If you want like to help me, please select the link below, and choose a game you have recently played, to rate it.

http://tinyurl.com/63fuf7w

All help will be greatly appreciated. I will answer any queries you may have, and keep you updated on key findings once I have completed my study. Thank you.
Yasdnil

Mar 2008
Indeed it is. It's just a small scale study. Lots of experimental gaming research uses badly matched games between conditions. I'm just trying to get data on different types of games, so I can develop a way of measuring differences between games better. I have used this forum before, and the reposnse was very positive, so I am hoping you will all be nice again. :)
Thanks, Yasdnil

Grindspine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Indiana
Yasdnil is one of the researchers that actually asked permission before ever conducting research and stuck around to contribute to the forums too! ^_^

It's definitely appreciated!

Being that I have a background in both psych research and ethnographic (cultural anthropology) research, I've found that some researchers do not understand how important it is to participate in the groups they study. I think Yasdnil gets that though.

Feel free to participate in her research study!

Mar 2008
Grindspine said:
Yasdnil is one of the researchers that actually asked permission before ever conducting research and stuck around to contribute to the forums too! ^_^

It's definitely appreciated!

Being that I have a background in both psych research and ethnographic (cultural anthropology) research, I've found that some researchers do not understand how important it is to participate in the groups they study. I think Yasdnil gets that though.

Feel free to participate in her research study!

Thank you Grindspine- that's very nice of you to support my research. My research targets gamers, as a lot of psychological research on gaming carries out experiments on people who don't actually play video games! This just seems stupid to me! I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank-you,
Yasdnil

Mar 2008
Tank.of.AH said:
i did it! i didn't understand one of the questions last time i tried so i just completed it :) it was fun. glad to be a help 8)
Ahh thanks! Which bit was it that was unclear? It would be useful to get some feedback in case others have similar issues! :)

Mar 2008
Thanks for the feedback Tank.of.AH. I will have a look over the questionnaire, to see if I can make some changes.

Feb 2011
Michigan
Yasdnil said:
Thanks for the feedback Tank.of.AH. I will have a look over the questionnaire, to see if I can make some changes.
no problem. and one more note, some of the questions were worded in an unclear way. like i couldn't understand the question.

Mar 2008
Anyone else fancy helping me out? You can rate any game you have recently played (see link below). I would really appreciate it.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/472675/rating-video-games

Feb 2011
Michigan
well i am filling it out again and there are some confusing words.

question 28 i dont know what aesthetics means so i put neither agree or disagree. my thought is to put the definition or use a less complex word. other than that, great survey and very easy to understand :)

Mar 2008
Tank.of.AH said:
well i am filling it out again and there are some confusing words.

question 28 i dont know what aesthetics means so i put neither agree or disagree. my thought is to put the definition or use a less complex word. other than that, great survey and very easy to understand :)
Thanks. Aesthetics is the way the game looks- colours/graphics/overall impression.

Feb 2011
Michigan
Yasdnil said:
Thanks. Aesthetics is the way the game looks- colours/graphics/overall impression.
thank you very much! i would just recommend you put that there instead of Aesthetics! or at least put "(graphics etc.)"

that might help more!

Mar 2008
Tank.of.AH said:
thank you very much! i would just recommend you put that there instead of Aesthetics! or at least put "(graphics etc.)"

that might help more!
Sorted- hope this is clearer now. :)

Thanks again

stealth toilet

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
North America
Yasdnil said:
"Aesthetic" means more than "pleasant to look at/artistic" (I also did the survey). It means how something made you feel; an anesthesia numbs you to sensation, and an aesthesia (the noun form of the word, only exists in abstract) wakes up your senses. So it doesn't have to be "pleasant." Beauty is aesthetically pleasing, the grotesque is not, but each illicit a strong aesthetic reaction from a person, and so each is of equal aesthetic value.

So yeah, that question is still confusing. :lol

I might split it up into three or four questions. Maybe:

Does its sensory stimulation illicit a strong aesthetic (feel) reaction?
Is that reaction intended to be pleasing?
Is that reaction intended to be unpleasant?
Do they succeed in making you feel how they intend to?

Or you might want to scrap the "aesthetic" thing altogether and just say something else entirely.

Also, any question that begins "the game has good _____" is also confusing, because I don't know whether I should be evaluating its technical achievement, its implementation versus its intended implementation, whether it is pleasant or not, and that sort of thing.

But that might just be me overthinking it. :D