Sega Saturn Saturn backup ram

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Does this just let you play games that need more ram? Or what exactly was this used for?

Did it allow you to save high scores...etc?

BV :hat

Jul 2004
USA
There are two different types of RAM cart's. Your kinda getting the two mixed up I think.

1 - backup RAM cart. Used to store saved games in case you ran out of internal memory on the Saturn console.

2 - 1MB/4MB ram carts. Used to play SNK and Capcom fighting games. They used the extra RAM to cut down on the loading times in the game, and add more animations. KOF 95 came with its own special RAM cart that actually had all the backgrounds saved onto it. This helped it to load very fast. The other SNK games used any 1MB RAM cart, while the Capcom games usually used 4MB RAM cart. Although a few of the SNK games are also compatible with the 4MB RAM cart as well.

Oct 2004
London
I know that DrA...but the post above mentioned that ram carts were japanese release only and your post didn't expand either...so I was merely looking out for the UK contingent :lol

It is still at best an average conversion imo (KoF 95 that is!)

Mar 2005
wheelaa said:
I know that DrA...but the post above mentioned that ram carts were japanese release only and your post didn't expand either...so I was merely looking out for the UK contingent :lol

It is still at best an average conversion imo (KoF 95 that is!)
RAM Expansion carts are a Japan only release. KOF 95 came with a proprietary ROM cart (not RAM).

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
Kiken said:
RAM Expansion carts are a Japan only release.  KOF 95 came with a proprietary ROM cart (not RAM).
Thank you, KOF95 came with a ROM cart...which is the first and only game on Saturn that uses it's own unique style of cartridge backup

Mar 2005
MegaDrive20XX said:
Thank you, KOF95 came with a ROM cart...which is the first and only game on Saturn that uses it's own unique style of cartridge backup
Actually, there was one other ROM cart game. It was an UltraMan fighting game. However, I can't remember the full title at the moment.