Sega Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition (PC). 46 Genesis games on 1 disc.

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
In stores March 15th. These games are already on Steam, but here they are in 1 psychical disc form for PC.

Volume 1

* Golden Axe
* Altered Beast
* Comix Zone
* Ecco The Dolphin
* Gain Ground
* Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
* Vectorman
* Sonic The Hedghog
* Crack Down
* Space Harrier II

Volume 2

* Ecco Jr.
* Fatal Labyrinth
* Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
* Bonanza Bros.
* Super Thunder Blade
* ESWAT: City Under Siege
* Kid Chameleon
* Ristar
* Golden Axe 2
* Galaxy Force II
* Columns
* Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Volume 3

* Bio-Hazard Battle
* Columns III: Revenge of Columns
* Sword of Vermilion
* Virtua Fighter 2
* Ecco: The Tides of Time
* Alien Storm
* Decap Attack
* Flicky
* Sonic 3 & Knuckles
* Sonic Spinball

Volume 4

* LandStalker
* Shining Force
* Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
* Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
* Streets of Rage
* Streets of Rage 2
* Alien Soldier
* Light Crusader
* Sonic 3D Blast
* Gunstar Heroes
* Shining Force II
* Shining in the Darkness
* ToeJam & Earl
* ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/17/sega-bundling-46-genesis-games-for-classic-collection-gold-editi/

Grindspine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Indiana
I have Sonic Mega Collection on PS2. I had the first two Sonic Advance games on GBA. Last week Steam had a sale on a Genesis collection.

I am having a hard time getting excited about another format for the same games. I mean, they're classics. I do like many of those games. But, c'mon... Those collections too often make for a weekend of nostalgia, then collect dust. The really hardcore gamers that really appreciate those old games STILL HAVE THEIR ORIGINAL SYSTEMS CONNECTED TO A TV.

Grindspine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Indiana
Besides, NES still looks great on old CRT TVs. SNES doesn't take kindly to widescreen monitors. I doubt Genesis games fare much better.

What IS awesome is that I remember a few years back, some friends of mine got a Genesis and a handful of games from a pawn shop. They were living cheap and just wanted some games to play while drinking. I think they spent $30 on a genny and about five games. That's way more entertaining then spending any amount of money on a classics collection.

The one allowance I'll make for collections like that in general is that I have been tempted to seek out a PS2 Mega Man X collection disc. That is only because I have Mega Man X and X2 on my SNES, but had only rented X3 back in those days. Getting a good condition X3 cartridge gets pretty expensive. Still, I'm not sure how well X3 would translate from SNES to PS2.

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
Well Grind, I'll fill in the blanks. Genesis doesn't look so hot on HDTV as much as the SNES.

The PS2/Cube Mega Man X Collection lacks some things. Mega Man X3 is the PS1 import from Europe, with load times, anime cut scenes, and remixes of the original BGM. Which broke my heart but at least it's not long load times. Problem with these collections is they couldn't emulate Mode 7 graphics. The final boss is suppose to be in Super FX2 graphics, but they edited it to appear more "PS1" like.

For example, Mega Man Anniversary Collection had a weak sauce of an ending for Mega Man 7. Where the SNES game shows Mega Man slowly walking away from Dr. Wily's castle as it exploded in glory. So, they replaced it with a blank screen and white text for credits.

As for the Genesis collections, imho the best of the best is the cheapest as of lately. 360 and PS3's "Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection" Which has a great variety of keeping the games as original as possible. You can buff or un-buff the graphics if you wish.

My favorite thing to do is give a friend a Genesis console. The look in their eye is like watching a door open to them. Sure they're drowned by all their Rock Bands, Halos, Call of Duties, and MMORPG's. I gave my girlfriend a Sega Genesis on Valentine's Day and I think she was really beyond belief. To me, I just see it as another day. To her, it's an untapped resource.

Mar 2011
I still remember a lot of fun times playing two player Toejam & Earl. Its all good until you get the rocket skates! I can still hear the music in my head too.