Study Says Gaming Can Make You Totally Stressed Out

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
http://kotaku.com/5151109/study-says-gaming-can-make-you-totally-stressed-out

A Taiwanese study - backed by British researchers - has found that playing too many video games can (can) contribute to a a rise in stress levels and feelings of anxiety in "young people".

Of course it stresses me out, Oblivion pisses me off!

x2

Jun 2004
Minnesota
MegaDrive20XX said:
http://kotaku.com/5151109/study-says-gaming-can-make-you-totally-stressed-out

A Taiwanese study - backed by British researchers - has found that playing too many video games can (can) contribute to a a rise in stress levels and feelings of anxiety in "young people".

Of course it stresses me out, Oblivion pisses me off!
Ok well I can actually buy this. I myself have learned to let it go since a video game is the least important part of my life, but man, when I was younger I would get absolutely steamed over them :mad:

Jan 2008
Earth
That's is a bunch of Bull crap.

With some,maybe.Video games can provide very positive feelings of success(How good did you feel when you beat the "Emerald Weapon" in "FF7" with a onslaught of "Knights Of The Round" Summon?With success comes confidence,when you get stressed out trying to accomplish a certain goal in a game,it is because you have tried really hard to accomplish a certain goal in a game,but failed.

The point is,it teaches you to not to give up,but to try even harder to succeed in attaining your desired goal.Gaming is like any other task such as sports for example.You don't think that when Michael Jordan got stressed out when he was having a bad game and couldn't put a beach ball in the ocean.This certainly ticked him off.Come next game,he rises up and works even harder to make up for his disappointing performance last game.You have to be thick skinned when it comes to video games,It's a good stress.

Just my opinion,take it for what it's worth.

Peace.
KAZ

x2 said:
Ok well I can actually buy this. I myself have learned to let it go since a video game is the least important part of my life, but man, when I was younger I would get absolutely steamed over them :mad:
Honestly, games can still stress me out. When I've put hours into beating something, and just lose EVERY time, I can get pretty pissed. I control it now, instead of taking it out on the controller (like I'm sure everyone did a bit when they were younger :lol), but some games can still be pretty annoying.

x2

Jun 2004
Minnesota
Homicidal Cherry53 said:
Honestly, games can still stress me out. When I've put hours into beating something, and just lose EVERY time, I can get pretty pissed. I control it now, instead of taking it out on the controller (like I'm sure everyone did a bit when they were younger :lol), but some games can still be pretty annoying.
Oh don't get me wrong, I still get frustrated with games, but I have learned to tell myself that it is just a game and it's not worth losing hair over ;) Another thing is I simply don't play games that I know will tick me off such as fighters.

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
I know it all too well. The stress from getting my butt kicked in fighting games. :lol

That's why I learned to stop playing when I get too frustrated.

it's true i get stressed in certain games but it doesn't ruin my entire day if i can't beat a boss or something like that :lol as soon as i turn the console off i forget about it and usually avoid the game for a while (a couple of days or so) then go back to it and try to beat it without stress wearing me down. but this doesn't happen too often though

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
Mai Valentine said:
I know it all too well. The stress from getting my butt kicked in fighting games. :lol

You mean like that night on DOA4 when we played? *blush*

Edit: Yeah I still get extremely angry with fighting games lol

x2

Jun 2004
Minnesota
Mai Valentine said:

Lol exactly. I will never attempt to play another Mortal Kombat game in my life!

x2

Jun 2004
Minnesota
Zidart said:
funny you mention that.... mortal kombat is the only fighting game that truly stressed me back in the day xD
Same. I at least had some fun with Tekken, Killer Instinct, etc...But I would just get destroyed in MK, and I lacked the patience to really learn it.

stealth toilet

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
North America
I think that statement needs some qualification, as in SOME games can stress you out, sure.

NHL 09 almost always gets my blood boiling, even if I am winning. For that matter, any sports game is stressful for me. When I play a sport I always play with the mentality that desire is an essential quality, whoever "wants" the ball more is going to get it. In a physical sport this desire is curbed by physical ability, and so when I am unable to perform in a sport I'm usually so physically exhausted from trying to keep up with a much more talented player I don't have the energy to get angry.

In a video game, desire doesn't really play into it at all. Not being able to make my team play better/harder by wanting victory is infuriating, especially when playing someone who doesn't really care about the outcome, or a computer who simply cheats.

I'm getting angry right now just thinking about it. :lol