Tales of Symphonia unofficial hype thread!

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
How much are you willing to sacrifice for the chance to save your world? In a dying village on Sylvarant, legend has it that a Chosen One will one day appear from amongst the people and the land will be reborn. Enter a world of beautiful cel-shaded graphics and high-quality Anime cut scenes by renowned artist Kosuke Fujishima. Command real-time battles in a unique 3D battle system that gives you full control over the characters. Execute and combine hundreds of special attacks and magic spells. The line between good and evil blurs in this immersive, emotionally charged epic adventure where the fate of two interlocked worlds hangs in the balance.

Features:
REAL TIME 3D BATTLE SYSTEM.
One of the fiercest, most action packed battle systems ever created with hundreds of special attacks, spells, and combos. Up to 4 players can control all the members of your party during battles.

AN EPIC ADVENTURE.
Over 80 hours of gameplay in this epic, emotionally charged storyline.

A 3D MASTERPIECE.
Beautiful cel-shaded graphics by renowned artist Kosuke Fujishima.

ADAPTABLE CHARACTERS.
Fully customizable character growth system to suit your fighting style – where the storyline changes based on the characters’ relationships.

UNPRECENDENTED VARIETY.
Dozens of mini-games and side quests.

I am not sure on this one Mai. It is up in the air for me. I saw some video that I was not really happy with. But it all comes down to gameplay. Let me know when you get the game.

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
Ok, here we go.

EGM scores:
Shane - 8.5
Jennifer - 7.5
Christian - 8.5

Reviews

Shane:
For the past two years, Cube owners looking for traditional role-playing fare were outta luck--apart from the ported-from-Dreamcast Skies of Arcadia Legends, GC's selection has been a desolate wasteland. For them, Symphonia is a godsend.

This game follows the established rules of RPG-dom: You've got your band of ragtag kids bent on saving the world, myriad locations to explore, and thousands of enemies to splatter. While the story line, characters, and puzzle-packed dungeons don't offer any real surprises, everything's very well presented--attractive visuals spring to life like a watercolor storybook in 3D, and quality voice acting lends the narrative weight and levity. Surprisingly, though, it's the battle system that holds everything together. Since you're actually swinging your sword and linking combos in real time, the chaotic encounters never get dull.

Symphonia isn't without a few flat notes: Boss fights skew too difficult, forcing you to bash random enemies for a while to level up first. Also, you're constantly bombarded with "skits"--optional bits of text-only party chitchat. These overlong sequences flesh out the plot, but they're a total drag to sit through.

Jennifer:
Unless you're a connoisseur of Japanese RPGs with a circle of like-minded friends and a long list of bookmarked websites full of walkthroughs, you'll need real perserverance for Symphonia. It throws you into its complex, multilayered combat system headfirst; three hours in, I still felt like I needed a tutorial. Don't be fooled by the clunky skits--decent voice acting propels the sappy but cute story. It's a rewarding, rich, and addictive game, but the stingy save system makes it a tad too hardcore.

GMR Guest Review Christian:
What makes this game addictive is the battle system. The story is drippy and predictable, though the skits aren't nearly as bad as Shane and Jen claim. But the battles--so much fun, so speedy, so deep. Like Othello, the mantra here is "a moment to learn, a lifetime to master." The game's gorgeous graphics will work your eyes just as hard as the battles work your thumb, too. Finally, the Tales series has a title with a shot at stardom.

Other info:
Known-voice actors include -

Tara Strong - Tara is probably best known for her work as Bubbles on the Powerpuff Girls TV series, but she also voiced Rikku in Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2. In Tales of Symphonia, she plays a young girl named Presea who has to take over her father's business after he becomes seriously ill.

Jennifer Hale - Jennifer plays Tales's Sheena, an assassin who's trying to prevent Colette from fulfilling her destiny. Her voice-acting credentials include a number of popular video game characters, including Dr. Naomi Hunter in Metal Gear Solid and Alexandra Roivas in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Jun 2004
England
It's sounding pretty good. I seem to like complicated RPG's, I am a fan of Dark Cloud 2 afterall :D

I knew about Tara Strong doing the voice acting, she does lots of stuff. She's really talented.

Jun 2004
Asia
It.....looks okay.
Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age but I'm getting a bit tired of spiky haired teenagers saving the world....

I guess I like my rpgs a little darker

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
Actually the style is one of the draws for me. I really want a cel-shaded rpg. I know that Dark Cloud 2 is cel-shaded but it's not quite anime-enough looking. Also, I can't find it anywhere around here.

Part of the reason why I was really looking forward to the cel-shaded MMORPG True Fantasy Live Online for XBOX. I was disappointed when they cancelled it.

Jun 2004
Asia
I did like the other Tales games I've played. I guess I just feel like I've outgrown those style of RPGs ....

I'll definitely check it out. I doubt I can find it in English here - but next time I'm home, I'll give it a rental and check it out.

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
GamePro gave it an overall score of 4.5 out of 5 and awarded it Editor's Choice. :woot

Graphics 4.5
Sound 4.5
Control 4.5

They had a few problems with it, the biggest one being the battle system, where you control one character and the other three are mapped to AI.

One of the things I did not care for was the voice acting. I don't know...it just does not feel like a significant title to me from a significant developer. When Lunar was released for the Sega CD, it was a landmark title. When Final Fantasy 7 was released for the PS1 it was a landmark title. When Grandia II was released for the Dreamcast, it was a landmark title. Each game offered something unique never done before, and astounded audiences thus.

This game just feels like the same old same old to me. It maybe the only real RPG on the GameCube, but that does not mean it is good.

You never know. I will wait and see on this one.

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
I believe this will definitely be a great RPG for the Gamecube.... something it has needed for awhile :)

but we'll see when the game comes out and the final verdict of the people!

†B†V† :hat

Jun 2004
FL
I entered myself into a contest to win this game and a GC signed by the guy head in development for this game (or something like that). Either way, I hope I win as I don't yet have a GC and this game looks pretty cool.

May 2004
It comes out in what, a week or two? I watched a demo movie of it at Walmart today and it looked pretty interesting. I'm definitely going to try this one out. I have tons of patience, so a lot of skits probably won't bug me, especially if they help detail the story. Those animated cutscenes loook awesome.

Jul 2004
Bmount
GASP!!! A RPG for the Cube??? maybe I can knock some of the dust off my game cube and get this game...... hopefully the thing will still play! I don't think I've used it since I went and bought FFCC and played it once for about 2 hours....... I've been having to resort to antiquated sega saturn RPGs.......

May 2004
Have you tried Skies of Arcadia: Legends? That game was better than I expected.

Will SquareEnix ever make a true FF RPG for the Cube?

Jul 2004
Bmount
Definatly, was a fan of it when it was on the dreamcast and liked it on the cube even better because they got rid of the every 2 1/2 second random battle!

Jun 2004
Asia
Tales of Symphonia review!

It's in the Gamecube section at www.gamespy.com

I'll let people read and post before I say what I think. I found the review a bit strange though.

Jun 2004
England
I can't see Nintendo getting over their stubborness and letting Square Enix make a REAL RPG for the Gamecube. But it's a nice thought...a real Final Fantasy would look so right on the Cube.

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
Re: Tales of Symphonia review!

I liked the review. It was a good one, pretty similar to a lot of I've read. Most of them agree that the game and battle system is good, but that the music is pretty generic and the story itself a bit cliche. But personally I don't mind that. Most rpgs these days are.

Out of curiousity, though, why didn't you just post this in my Unofficial Tales of Symphonia hype thread?