Tales of the Abyss 3DS confirmed!!!!!!

Strubes said:
This is awesome. Please, please, please don't just slap 3D on this and sell it to mindless drones for $40. Make it unique!
why thank you for calling us mindless drones.........I'll make sure to say that whenever another 360 exclusive is ported to the PS3 or from the PS3 to the NGP or any console period...

Regardless... knowing Namco they don't make a port without adding extras to them (like with eternal sonata, tales of vesperia and the crapload of PS2 to PSP ports the tales series has gotten)

Dec 2005
Fraser, Michigan
Zidart said:
why thank you for calling us mindless drones.........I'll make sure to say that whenever another 360 exclusive is ported to the PS3 or from the PS3 to the NGP or any console period...

Regardless... knowing Namco they don't make a port without adding extras to them (like with eternal sonata, tales of vesperia and the crapload of PS2 to PSP ports the tales series has gotten)
Too lazy to find a facepalm.jpg.

When a game from the 360 is ported to the PS3 or vice-versa, it's good so the people who haven't been able to play it can play it. If that game was ported on to the PS3 from the 360, and someone who already played it on the 360 said they were going to buy it for the PS3, I don't see the point in spending even more money for the same game. You can play it on the go. That's all good and all. But the 3DS doesn't have great battery life, and for an RPG, it's going to get a lot more than 4-6 hours of game play at a time most likely. If it's the same game, I just can't see spending another $40 for a game you already know the story/ending of. Now, since we don't know anything about this yet, or what it entails, I'll leave my opinion where it stands.

Strubes said:
Too lazy to find a facepalm.jpg.

When a game from the 360 is ported to the PS3 or vice-versa, it's good so the people who haven't been able to play it can play it. If that game was ported on to the PS3 from the 360, and someone who already played it on the 360 said they were going to buy it for the PS3, I don't see the point in spending even more money for the same game. You can play it on the go. That's all good and all. But the 3DS doesn't have great battery life, and for an RPG, it's going to get a lot more than 4-6 hours of game play at a time most likely. If it's the same game, I just can't see spending another $40 for a game you already know the story/ending of. Now, since we don't know anything about this yet, or what it entails, I'll leave my opinion where it stands.
that's ok I was too lazy to get a facepalm.jpg as well

there are a lot of special circumstances for that you know... for example with fighting games someone may want both versions because some friends have the PS3 version and others the 360 version. Others may have sold the game and just want to get the newest version to play it again.

throughout all of my days playing the 3DS not once have I ran out of battery, that's because I am smart enough to lower the settings of the console to conserve the battery, I have to do it with my psp too which also suffers from battery life problems so I've been used to this for a very long time.

for me the 3D I didn't even think about until you came to rain down in my parade, I was more excited over the fact that I could play multiplayer anywhere at anytime (that's of course if they implement the multiplayer mode of Tales of innocence) I usually hang out with friends at picnics, or the mall or somewhere outside of our houses and occasionally we play games, this would be another great game to get and it would be easy to spread the love for it. Specially If i can now lend my PS2 version more often... quite honestly not a lot of people have played this game so a port to another console/handheld makes a lot of sense.

AND again almost EVERY SINGLE TALES GAME has had a port Tales of phantasia to many different consoles, tales of destiny has had remakes from PS1 to PS2. Tales of eternia, and Tales of Rebirth, Destiny 2 had ports to the PSP. Tales of symphonia had a port for the PS2, tales of Vesperia got a port to the PS3, tales of graces got a port for the PS3... and guess what? all of them had a new feature, some had more than others (such as vesperia having 2 new characters) but they always had something to add to the overall package... so I don't see why they wouldn't do that...

I know it is your opinion and all I've got that much for every single time you post.. you don't have to repeat it... but is it really necessary to rain in this parade?

Dec 2005
Fraser, Michigan
Zidart said:
that's ok I was too lazy to get a facepalm.jpg as well

there are a lot of special circumstances for that you know... for example with fighting games someone may want both versions because some friends have the PS3 version and others the 360 version. Others may have sold the game and just want to get the newest version to play it again.

throughout all of my days playing the 3DS not once have I ran out of battery, that's because I am smart enough to lower the settings of the console to conserve the battery, I have to do it with my psp too which also suffers from battery life problems so I've been used to this for a very long time.

for me the 3D I didn't even think about until you came to rain down in my parade, I was more excited over the fact that I could play multiplayer anywhere at anytime (that's of course if they implement the multiplayer mode of Tales of innocence) I usually hang out with friends at picnics, or the mall or somewhere outside of our houses and occasionally we play games, this would be another great game to get and it would be easy to spread the love for it. Specially If i can now lend my PS2 version more often... quite honestly not a lot of people have played this game so a port to another console/handheld makes a lot of sense.

AND again almost EVERY SINGLE TALES GAME has had a port Tales of phantasia to many different consoles, tales of destiny has had remakes from PS1 to PS2. Tales of eternia, and Tales of Rebirth, Destiny 2 had ports to the PSP. Tales of symphonia had a port for the PS2, tales of Vesperia got a port to the PS3, tales of graces got a port for the PS3... and guess what? all of them had a new feature, some had more than others (such as vesperia having 2 new characters) but they always had something to add to the overall package... so I don't see why they wouldn't do that...

I know it is your opinion and all I've got that much for every single time you post.. you don't have to repeat it... but is it really necessary to rain in this parade?
I'm sorry, I fail to see the pros in the majority of your points. And I don't feel like answering each individually, soooo I'm going to skip to the last one. :lol

Short answer, yes. It's necessary for anyone with an opinion to voice it. If this forum were to function on having some threads available for people to give a negative or positive, and others to have positive opinions only, it would hardly be a forum.

But also, it seems like you're taking this too personally. You seem to do that a lot actually. Just relax. This is the internet. You're never going to be fully agreed with all the time. However, I may come back when I have the time and post my stances on your points.

Strubes said:
I'm sorry, I fail to see the pros in the majority of your points. And I don't feel like answering each individually, soooo I'm going to skip to the last one. :lol

Short answer, yes. It's necessary for anyone with an opinion to voice it. If this forum were to function on having some threads available for people to give a negative or positive, and others to have positive opinions only, it would hardly be a forum.

But also, it seems like you're taking this too personally. You seem to do that a lot actually. Just relax. This is the internet. You're never going to be fully agreed with all the time. However, I may come back when I have the time and post my stances on your points.
Just forget it.... because for us it is hardly a debate since we are both too stubborn to think about each others views... and I only took it personal due to your "mindless drone" comment.. your way of speaking itself makes me upset. Sometimes the way you write it makes it feel like you enjoy just creating controversy just for the sake of it instead of actually have a well thought out debate...

Its even ridiculous how you expect your own opinion to be treated equally when you love to disregard others and to even "fail to see".. you know I do agree with you with some 3DS games such as Rayman 3DS and Ocarina of time 3DS because those have games that everyone and their grandmother has played already... but not Tales of the abyss that's one game that not a lot of people even gave a chance... having a port that becomes accessible for those who missed it is in and of itself a great pro JUST LIKE you just said with your 360/ps3 example. Can you AT THE VERY LEAST think about others opinions before completely disregarding them

Jul 2007
They don't even need to add 3D. Give me Tales of the Abyss, straight from the PS2 for the 3DS. That alone should be worth the price of admission.

Just be happy that it actually coming to America and not worry about if they add new content...

Dec 2005
Fraser, Michigan
Zidart said:
Just forget it.... because for us it is hardly a debate since we are both too stubborn to think about each others views... and I only took it personal due to your "mindless drone" comment.. your way of speaking itself makes me upset. Sometimes the way you write it makes it feel like you enjoy just creating controversy just for the sake of it instead of actually have a well thought out debate...

Its even ridiculous how you expect your own opinion to be treated equally when you love to disregard others and to even "fail to see".. you know I do agree with you with some 3DS games such as Rayman 3DS and Ocarina of time 3DS because those have games that everyone and their grandmother has played already... but not Tales of the abyss that's one game that not a lot of people even gave a chance... Can you AT THE VERY LEAST think about others opinions before completely disregarding them
Lighten up. :)

having a port that becomes accessible for those who missed it is in and of itself a great pro JUST LIKE you just said with your 360/ps3 example.
And this I already said I agree with. I can see people who haven't played it buying this. Others, I just don't understand.

Strubes said:
Lighten up. :)

And this I already said I agree with. I can see people who haven't played it buying this. Others, I just don't understand.
You don't have to... but just because you don't understand someone's decision that doesn't mean you have to call them mindless drones

x2

Jun 2004
Minnesota
Strubes said:
This is awesome. Please, please, please don't just slap 3D on this and sell it to mindless drones for $40. Make it unique!
Good lord man do you always have to be so insulting? Do you think we don't see how your backhanded compliment is really just an insult to Nintendo fans? Anyways, ToA for the PS2 is VERY rare and hard to find. So even if they do a straight port that is great!

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
If they can fix the load times, having TotA portable is enough, even if they don't actually add anything.

At any rate, there's a trailer up for it. You can see with the battle system they were able to utilize the touch screen. I wonder what it's going to be used for when not in battle. Maybe a menu shortcut?

The graphics look pretty much the same as the PS2 version, but I think seeing it in 3D will be really awesome.

Trailer

Also, looks like it comes out June 30 in Japan, so maybe the US will see it by the end of the year.

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
So I have my hands on the Nintendo Power with the Tales of the Abyss info in it.

Here are some key parts of that article.

On the power of the 3DS:
Tales-series producer Makoto Yoshizumi has long wanted to do a handheld remake of Tales of the Abyss. But there was one problem: none of the last generation of portable game systems were capable of a near-perfect port of a PlayStation 2 game. "We knew that if we were going to port it to a new platform, we wanted it to be equal to or even better than the original game, and really bring out its full potential," Yoshizumi explains. "The Nintendo 3DS finally solved all those issues and provided just the opportunity we were looking for." Not only did the platform have the power to bring the game back to life without any significant graphical compromises, but its 3D capabilities offered a way to add an impressive new feature without having to mess too much with the underlying game. From battles to dungeons to event scenes, Yoshizumi's team was able to remaster the entire game into 3D (save for the handful of animated cutscenes) in less than a year.
On load times:
"Rest assured that we were able to cut down on load times significantly, thanks to using the N3DS Game Card in place of optical media."
Unexpected perks:
The move to Nintendo 3DS has brought a few unexpected perks. In addition to offering 3D visuals, the system's upper screen provides a widescreen aspect ratio that makes event scenes and overworld areas feel a bit more cinematic and gives the battles a little more room to breathe.
On the bummer side of things, they don't plan to include any communication features such as co-op, online, StreetPass, or Spotpass.

Mai Valentine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Georgia
They sort of mentioned that as well, at least for TotA.

Previous Tales-series remakes have featured new content in the form of characters, dungeons, and even playable epilogue chapters, but the 3D visuals are the only significant addition to the Nintendo 3DS version of Tales of the Abyss. Yoshizumi explains why: "Tales of the Abyss already feels like a fully realized game to me, and I worried that cramming in new features just for the sake of having them might detract from the game's fundamental strengths."

Mai Valentine said:
They sort of mentioned that as well, at least for TotA.
guess that means Asch won't be a fully playable character. That is rather disappointing. However I am glad that they are fixing the loading times and I do believe the 3D effect will help with the fields of fonon gameplay mechanic. (as well as the touch screen for artes.