The Gamespot Editor got fired for giving a review?

Wow...everything's about money now, isn't it?

"Don't let our reviewers give honest reviews. Just have them give crappy sugar-coated, only positive reviews so we can get more ad money."

This situation sickens me. When a member of the press is fired for giving an honest opinion, there's something seriously wrong in the world.

Mar 2007
No you don't, Jack, stop kidding yourself. Name the last time you've been criticized for having an opinion.

Oooohhhh, right.

Jan 2007
Denham Springs, LA
fhqwhgads said:
No you don't, Jack, stop kidding yourself. Name the last time you've been criticized for having an opinion.

Oooohhhh, right.
Yeah, you're right. All the time I've been on this site, nobody has ever faunched at me for having an opinion different than others. No sir.

stealth toilet

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
North America
I always found it odd how the people responsible for pointing out what is wrong with a game are the same people who become a part of that industry by networking with the people who make those games. When you compound that inherently flawed system with the fact that the people whose product is being judged are the same people who are paying the judges, you've invented a system that is so corrupt it is a wonder it can exist in any form.

This isn't the first time Gamespot has fallen into hot water by turning their website into a multimedia billboard for a game and then having to give it a poor score. If anyone remembers the Spiderman 3 debacle you'll know what I'm talking about. The casual gamespot viewer, who knows nothing of how much money is exchanged with whose hands, spent a good month being fed propaganda that Spiderman 3 was the definitive next gen game that they had to buy the moment it touched a store shelf. And then the review popped up on gamespot telling them the exact opposite, to avoid a purchase of this game at all costs. Now, the review was done before the game was released, gamespot new that this game was nothing like the multitude of advertisements on the site were claiming it to be, but they made a deal, and didn't have a choice.

Conflict of interest might be an appropriate phrase to apply to this situation, but when every facet of this system is consumed with conflict, it seems an inadequate phrase to describe the current state of affairs. There is a difference between experiencing a slight pain in your abdomen, and having an alien life form eat it's way out of your digestive tract after months of incubation. One is a pain of interest, the other is an experience so excruciating and horrifying that what little of the host survives such an ordeal wishes it hadn't.

hmmm since the war against gamespot (certain people know about that chat we had of "the plan to destroy gamespot) i started just caring about the general reviews of people who played those games to see if the mayority of the people think the game is either good or bad... but gamespot reviews and IGN reviews are made by (i think i'm not sure) by only 1 person, and maybe that person doesn't like certain kinds of games or is more exigent (i mean 8.8 to TP i think it deserves at least a 9 IMO)

stealth toilet

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
North America
As Tycho from Penny Arcade said:
Management has another story, of course: management always has another story.
Gamespot isn't going to come right out and say that Gertsman got fired because his poor review of Kane and Lynch lost them hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of advertising from Eidos. And while nobody knows the truth of the siutation, aside from Gertsman and the good people at Gamespot, I certainly wouldn't look to the website, whose entire reputation is on the line, for it.

Dart said:
Is Gamespot owned by the Faux News Network?? Because i see striking similarities...
See: IGN

:lol

Jan 2007
anything to do with this?

In a showing of support for the recent review debacle still underway at CNET, staffers from Ziff Davis including 1UP writers (and that oh-so-dreamy Jeremy Parish) put together a small but profoundly effective demonstration in front of CNET's offices. I say "effective" because it's quite uplifting to see competition swept aside in favor of solidarity within our profession; Jeff Gerstmann's firing, provided the circumstances surrounding it turn out to be true, is one of the creepiest goddamn things to happen in recent months and will likely prompt a lengthy discussion on the nature of the gig.

Gerstmann's canning might be a settled matter, but the aftermath is still brewing on both ends of the table. Expect to see a lot of discussion about reviews, the nature of reviews and the brave men and women who kick out the jams without crapping on their own integrity in the coming weeks. Good on you, Ziff.
http://www.destructoid.com/strength-and-honor-ziff-davis-rallies-outside-cnet-offices-56982.phtml

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the1upshow/