Sega Dreamcast was the Dreamcast a good system? or just full of mediocre games

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
What do you think? please explain why.

Some people say that the Dreamcast was only a mediocre system that was over hyped and led to the fall of Sega.

Some others say it is the best system ever made.

Post up your opinions!

†B†V† :hat

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
Bluevoodu said:
What do you think? please explain why.

Some people say that the Dreamcast was only a mediocre system that was over hyped and led to the fall of Sega.

Some others say it is the best system ever made.

Post up your opinions!

To me I would have to say that Dreamcast was ok, the some games didn't go with the console and some games did go with the console. The controller also had a downfall to me, cause it didn't feel right in my hands when I play certain games, just felt awkard and made me want to stop playing and that's a bad feeling. IMO of course.

But I mainly like the Dreamcast for the RPG and fighting games, but the controller just made it weird to play them.

Jun 2004
Asia
It was a good system. It had enough genres to please just about everyone. In fact - from what I've seen - it's a better system than the Xbox.

It wasn't marketed well enough though.

And the controller probably did put some people off - it's terrible.

Jul 2004
Bmount
I loved and hated the Dreamcast.

The controller was awesome - not an opinion shared by most

The graphics were a lot less jagged than the ps2's (at the time)

Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Virtua Tennis

Dislikes

GD-Rom instead of DVD Rom

The game library isn't that impressive at all

Great Innovations that never went anywhere (reminds me of Atari) - (VMUs, first major system to come out of the box w/ internet capabilities, games like skies of arcadia) the vmus never made it past being a memory card with an lcd screen, the internet play kinda stunk unless you played sports games, and skies was pretty much the only one of a kind game dreamcast had.

All in all it's a system I like enough to keep.......

Aug 2004
Missouri
I loved the Dreamcast, and got more play out of it than my PS 2 (not counting PSX games played on it) and Gamecube put together.

The whole concept of taking a console online is what drew me in. Games like Phantasy Star Online and Alien Front Online ate up many hours of my life... And then there were a lot of great offline games to play too: Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Powerstone, Grandia 2, Jet Gring Radio, Resident Evil Code Veronica, etc.

Now I'm sure that the great PS 2 and Gamecube games outnumber the DC library now, but I haven't really gotten around to playing them as much yet :/

Jun 2004
Brandon, FL
Yeah, Dreamcast tends to be better than Xbox in sales and everything! It's just the damn controller that throws the whole thing off. :-\

I'm so sick and tired of having to set the clock on my Dreamcast every time I go to boot it up, I guess it's telling me something that I need to play it more often. :lol *starts playing NFSU online*

Jun 2004
England
I don't think it was any good. There's a lot of games that were out on PSone/PS2 anyway. There was the odd gem though.

And that controller was even worse than Xbox's. You had to have that chip thing to even play it...wth?

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Grindspine said:
It was a cool console.  I liked the Sonic games for it and the Quake III: Arena version it had.
man... when you played that at my house... I Didn't think you liked it.

I guess next time you pop over... we'll break out Quake 3 DC style :)

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Royce Da 5 9 said:
Yeah, Dreamcast tends to be better than Xbox in sales and everything! It's just the darn controller that throws the whole thing off.  :-\

I'm so sick and tired of having to set the clock on my Dreamcast every time I go to boot it up, I guess it's telling me something that I need to play it more often.  :lol *starts playing NFSU online*
I know there are adaptors that allow other system's controllers to be used on the current consoles of today, BUT..... I wonder if they would make a Dreamcast adaptor to use a new controller with the older system :)

Oct 2004
London, UK
The Dreamcast in my opinion was the best system ever crafted by man.
So what if it didn't have an extensive library of games. So what if it had games already out on other formats.

There were so many gems on the DC.
I don't understand why people disliked the controller.
I and many other who I have spoken to loved it.
Your hand would fit snugly around it and the triggers were fantastic for racing games.

I actually have 3 DC's, but sadly only one of them is still working. :(

Jul 2004
USA
Dreamcast is one of my all time favorite systems. The sheer amount of Capcom and SNK games on it made it a great system for fighters. Not to mention all the awesome shooters the system had like Gunbird 2, Cannonspike, Twinkle Star Sprites and more. It was the last big system to really support 2D games, and thats another reason I love it.

There were many other one of a kind games on the DC that I really liked, Seaman, Shenmue, Rez, Mars Matrix and more that I can't really think of off the top of my head lol.

The one downfall it had was that most of the best games were Japan only titles, and had to be imported..not really something I minded but still alot of people prolly did.

As for the controller, I never really had any qualms with it, it seemed to work well for me.

Bluevoodu

Site Founder
May 2004
Indiana
Royce Da 5 9 said:
I'm so sick and tired of having to set the clock on my Dreamcast every time I go to boot it up.
actually... I forgot abou this.... as long as you keep it plugged in (or play it every couple days) the internal battery recharges :)

Jun 2004
the sun
i thought it was a great system with great games but again, the controller i didn't like. but psx was a tough competitor to take on, esp since it was grounded in already with fans. sega was coming off saturn which i personally thought sucked. i didn't get my DC till much later on

Jun 2004
England
Not to mention all the awesome shooters the system had like Gunbird 2, Cannonspike, Twinkle Star Sprites and more.
So THAT'S what Twinkle Star Sprites is...I always thought it was a Super Mario Sunshine reference.