ZODIAC has completely changed! Plus a brand new sign has appeared! Find out!

Jan 2005
Waco, TX
Ophiuchus is the new Zodiac Sign. Now everyone is thrown out of a loop!

According to the Minnesota Planetarium Society, here is where the real signs of the Zodiac should fall. Get ready for your world to change forever.

Capricorn: Jan. 20-Feb. 16.
Aquarius: Feb. 16-March 11.
Pisces: March 11-April 18.
Aries: April 18-May 13.
Taurus: May 13-June 21.
Gemini: June 21-July 20.
Cancer: July 20-Aug. 10.
Leo: Aug. 10-Sept. 16.
Virgo: Sept. 16-Oct. 30.
Libra: Oct. 30-Nov. 23.
Scorpio: Nov. 23-29.
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29-Dec. 17. (Yep, this one is new)
Sagittarius: Dec. 17-Jan. 20.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2042520,00.html?xid=rss-mostpopular <-- News report

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/13/horoscope-hang-up-earth-rotation-changes-zodiac-signs/ <-- New time frames of each Zodiac symbol

Grindspine

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
Indiana
The calender we go by would make way more sense with thirteen months, each being twenty-eight days and one lunar cycle. After all, "month" is derived from the word "moon" indicating the length of time the moon took to travel through the phases.

There are 365 days in a year, which is 28 x 13.0357.

Thirteen months a year just makes sense. I'm sure my landlord would love that extra rent check each year anyhow.

stealth toilet

Forum Staff
Jun 2004
North America
The Solar, Gregorian, calendar was made in an effort to maintain the month of the solstices, equinoxes, and other annual, seasonal, festivals (Easter, for example). Wikipedia actually has a decent write up on it (at the moment) if you're interested.

The lunar calendar (which is still used, actually, by some countries, and for certain events) is more consistent month to month numerically, but is out of sync with annual events (such as the seasons). A good example of this is the Islamic festival Ramadan, which calls for a month of fasting during daylight hours. The Islamic calendar is lunar (Islamic years are also not counted from the birth of Jesus, but from the emigration of Muhammad to Medina) which means that Ramadan "floats" around the Gregorian calendar, making a complete cycle once every 33 years. This also means that sometimes Ramadan occurs in Winter, when the days are shorter, and sometimes it occurs in summer (like last year, this year, and next year) when the days are longer.

The Gregorian calendar was adopted to ensure that Christmas always happened in Winter, Easter in Spring, and so forth. The timing of these festivals also coincided with other festivals that were largely based on the annual cycles of agriculture, particularly feasts that occurred after times of harvest and so forth.

So basically the Gregorian calendar was developed to match human cycles, not to achieve mathematical consistency. Thirteen months makes more sense to a mathematician (which actually explains part of why many countries in the Middle East still use a mathematically consistent lunar calendar, because they have historically been much more advanced than the west mathematically, i.e. math is now done all over the world in Arabic numerals), but to a farmer, or anyone whose job is seasonal, the Gregorian calendar really comes in handy. And if you're living in a Judeo-Christian (aka Western) society, it's pretty much a necessity.

Nov 2010
UK
That is some interesting stuff. Gonna look into it a bit more when I get the time. :)

Despite the changes, I still remain an Aquarius. :D

creepindeth04

Forum Staff
Oct 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Fr0dus Maximus said:
Who really gives a crap about what sign they are. It's always been a stupid concept.
I wouldn't call it entirely stupid. Is it important? Not really, but overall some of the theories in it make some sense as to how people are or act a certain way. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not. It's some decent insight though. Like everything, you take it with a grain of salt.

Dec 2007
Utah
Not too surprising.

Do they think that everything in the universe is just sitting still? Also, I have one word for you: precession. Look it up.